Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think that the authorities need to look again at this as to much of the emphasis is being placed on HGV/bus/coach drivers ...how many times have we witnessed a cyclist trying to squeeze past large vehicles at junctions etc also many a time I would be sitting at traffic lights indicating to turn left and as lights change there is some f*d on a bike squeezing up the inside ..Its more education of cyclists that is required and then pedestrians try to cross roads behind these large vehicles not realising the tail swing on them and sometimes end up under ...lets satisfy the eejits in power and starve by not allowing HGVs to make deliveries :rant:

Lorries face London ban 'to protect cyclists' - BBC News

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Cyclists = Lemmings :grin2: "Lets Go" >:)

Reactions: batfink5

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,588 Posts
Might have read that wrong, or not full story being revealed..
Is this mayor blaming the drivers, or the cyclists .
No mention, of whom was at fault...
Highly unlikely a Driver is going to deliberately run a cyclist over..
Do these cyclists not realise how small they are,...
They do not care, they cut in front, and think people driving cars can stop on a sixpence ..
Hope the Artic drivers ,, and all 7.5 tonners decide enough is enough, and follow your thoughts Stu, and refuse to enter.
How many white van man would they then need ..
My rant over,,,
(Sam Allardyce FOR mayor.. he will bung the cyclists)

·
22,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might have read that wrong, or not full story being revealed..
Is this mayor blaming the drivers, or the cyclists .
No mention, of whom was at fault...
Highly unlikely a Driver is going to deliberately run a cyclist over..
Do these cyclists not realise how small they are,...
They do not care, they cut in front, and think people driving cars can stop on a sixpence ..
Hope the Artic drivers ,, and all 7.5 tonners decide enough is enough, and follow your thoughts Stu, and refuse to enter.
How many white van man would they then need ..
My rant over,,,
(Sam Allardyce FOR mayor.. he will bung the cyclists)
What they want is all HGVs to have full length glass on the near side ...(reduce protection for the van boy as they are plentiful ) when signalling to turn the indicators will transmit an audible warning similar to " WARNING THIS VEHICLE IS TURNING LEFT" (If a Renault truck that should fail often) more mirrors and cameras for the driver so whilst watching the side of his vehicle he will drive over half a morons in cars who dared drive into the city

Reactions: ours2012

·
22,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
24,677 Posts
About time they payed insurance and some form of road tax as they are a bleedin liability!:frown2:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,910 Posts
It should not come as a surprise that the group of road users
that dont have to under go hours of training and a stiff test to
uses the roads seem to have the most problems, the annoying bit
is they seek to blame every one else. How many times have you gone
"No no no" as cyclists do something stupid often with dire results and
often due to a total lack of patience.

·
22,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should not come as a surprise that the group of road users
that dont have to under go hours of training and a stiff test to
uses the roads seem to have the most problems, the annoying bit
is they seek to blame every one else. How many times have you gone
"No no no" as cyclists do something stupid often with dire results and
often due to a total lack of patience.
I remember sitting waiting going on to a roundabout in heavy traffic and saw a gap so went to pull out in a 14m long coach only to watch a cyclist coming up the offside off me and trying to beat me out ..I blasted horn at him and he then cycled off shouting at me I passed him as we went down a hill and stopped at the traffic lights next thing the numpty appeared and and started shouting in the window "did you not see me thats what your effin mirrors are for:surprise:" ...my reply was if you never saw the wee blinky LED lights(think Corky works for Volvo Bus/Coach) on a big silver lump of metal in a turn right lane you aint even fit to walk on the pavement (some expletives I used have been omitted) he then called employer to complain which meant they removed CCTV hard drive only to view it and say he was lucky I saw him as I pulled away as on that manoeuvre your view goes to near side due to needing both lanes

·
9,686 Posts
London is a challenging city to drive through but there is no blanket solution that is going to fix the problem of safety. There's simply too many pedestians, cyclists, children, cars, buses, narrow streets, restricted parking, no rear loading access to shops etc etc
Also these days many multi-drop deliveries are being done by oversize vehicles eg 7.5 to 16 tonne lorries and even artics!!
You cannot restrict commercial vehicle use without harming commerce.
Yes it would help everybody if lorries had more safety features upgraded .. eg rear & side view cameras, sensors, blind-spot mirrors but the driver cannot be expected to be monitoring half a dozen screens and listening to all the beepers, while looking ahead at the same time and concentrating on the route & satnav etc etc
And now with the dark evening setting in the lorry driver has even greater problems with spotting hazards.
Maybe the Mayor should spend a week in the cab of a lorry to really understand the problem.

·
42,588 Posts
Cracking point,,, RW,

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Maybe the Mare (sic) is just trying to make a name for himself & get in the News?
Cynical Me ? :wink2:

·
42,588 Posts
Needs a better hair style

·
9,686 Posts
Here's another alternative solution

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I think you have to accept that most cities the road lay-out was never designed for the amount or type of traffic in use nowadays. In other words like it or not we will have to accept some form of restrictions in the future. We just can't go on allowing an ever increasing number of road users whether they be cyclists, cars, buses or trucks. In the days before long distance trucks most long haul cargo was moved by train to cities and then unloaded to either horse and carts or small lorries for distribution locally. With the run-down of rail transport, the introduction of large container lorries this concept has now disappeared. But maybe it is time we reconsidered the idea. Currently the methods of control such as cycle lanes, bus lanes and vehicle type restrictions are only a sticking plaster approach and unless we are prepared to radically redesign our cities we will have little or no option to accept ever demanding controls.

I live in a relatively small city and I no longer take the car to go into the city centre as the hassle of negotiating trafic and the risk of on-the-spot fines (£60 or more) for entering the wrong lane or such just isn't worth it. One bus lane camera alone has generated £1 million during the past 15 months.
I either use the bus or a taxi if I have to go the city centre.

Rant over!!

·
22,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in a relatively small city and I no longer take the car to go into the city centre as the hassle of negotiating trafic and the risk of on-the-spot fines (£60 or more) for entering the wrong lane or such just isn't worth it. One bus lane camera alone has generated £1 million during the past 15 months.
I either use the bus or a taxi if I have to go the city centre.

Rant over!!
I believe that is one of the most valid point ..you go into a city centre and look at the cars driving about and the biggest majority have driver only ..what was wrong with the park and ride ?
The biggest problem is getting the message over to people to use buses/trams/trains and if they do that the congestion will clear buses will run smoother
When I was driving the buses you could look at the traffic and say "schools are off today" due to lack of traffic and it flowed better so why do parents insist on driving kids half a mile up the road to school ????

Reactions: Renoir White
1 - 19 of 19 Posts