Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been glancing on the web well I'll narrow that down a bit on eBay for another tragic preferably an autosleeper conversion. The Mazda Bongo isn't working for us ok I'll narrow that down a bit me 44 years of driving a manual gearbox vehicle I'm still not comfortable with automatic after just over a year of owning one.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,244 Posts
Been glancing on the web well I'll narrow that down a bit on eBay for another tragic preferably an autosleeper conversion. The Mazda Bongo isn't working for us ok I'll narrow that down a bit me 44 years of driving a manual gearbox vehicle I'm still not comfortable with automatic after just over a year of owning one.
Hey Eddie :) Bit surprised about the Bongo. Is it just the gearbox or are you finding the interior space noticeably smaller than a Trafic or VW too ?
I drive a modern automatic Merc truck at work and nowadays finding the old Trafic hard work in comparison.
While looking on ebay recently for a replacement rear door I came across a couple of listings in the breaking/spares headings where sellers were advertising a whole van for breaking. From the pics I could see nothing wrong with the exterior or interior. Made me a bit cross as these vans are rare enough without scrapping good ones, and there can't be that many customers for bits either. Could be a way of finding another cheap van though if you could get one home.
Are you just after a petrol engine or looking at diesel too? (your other thread).

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Eddie :) Bit surprised about the Bongo. Is it just the gearbox or are you finding the interior space noticeably smaller than a Trafic or VW too ?
I drive a modern automatic Merc truck at work and nowadays finding the old Trafic hard work in comparison.
While looking on ebay recently for a replacement rear door I came across a couple of listings in the breaking/spares headings where sellers were advertising a whole van for breaking. From the pics I could see nothing wrong with the exterior or interior. Made me a bit cross as these vans are rare enough without scrapping good ones, and there can't be that many customers for bits either. Could be a way of finding another cheap van though if you could get one home.
Are you just after a petrol engine or looking at diesel too? (your other thread).

• Mainly the gearbox I'm still trying to get the ignition key out without shifting to P for one thing, trying to restart it without pressing the brake pedal, there's more relays than it needs one or three about 25cm after the battery that won't allow power to the starting motor. Too many devices to go wrong. I don't have any real issues with the size, while away we're ether sat outside in the sun or if it's wet were in the awning and if really wet pack up and go home.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fate works in mysterious ways. Just had a reminder off eBay that one of the Trafics I'm watching ends in 3 hrs, grandson was here yesterday and seen an old computer in the back bedroom, granda can I have that? Yes but you'll have to wait until I get a memory stick or two to store all the photos I scanned on it been looking at a folder named Snowball, most of them have been posted on this forum, Bongo compact and beju as it might be with Autopot gearbox et Al this current campervan will have to be my last.

refitted the AC drive belt today had planned on removing the full system until advised not to as the AC radiator sits Infront of the cooling system radiator and would probably protect the later from stones hence everything is still there except the drive belt, which is now back and the system is back up and running.

·
9,244 Posts
refitted the AC drive belt today had planned on removing the full system until advised not to as the AC radiator sits Infront of the cooling system radiator and would probably protect the later from stones hence everything is still there except the drive belt, which is now back and the system is back up and running.
Just wondering why you would want to remove the AC if its running reliably ?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering why you would want to remove the AC if its running reliably ?
Well it all started with a noisy fan motor, which only worked on full blast, as the Bongo is a mid engine vehicle all that's under the bonnet is that noisy fan a load of plastic two radiator's and the battery. Aircon without the fan wont work thought get rid using extra fuel for nothing but since then got the fan sorted fitting a new second hand resistor, fan working on all settings AC light comes on belt sorted today equals cool runnings. Might have the system requirements gassed but summer warm weather here only lasts a week or so might not bother, I reckon I will use the Chinese diesel air heater a lot more than the air conditioning

·
9,244 Posts
That's a good result. And resolves another mechanics dilemma .... should I fix a problem or remove a problem? I think that is why all my vehicles become more spartan the longer I own them. 👀

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got used to the automatic gearbox, you were right about the space though, its had all the me made fittings removed and restored to factory setting, and I must say its a lot more functional 4 rows of cushions 2x base + 2x backrests are very comfortable in the small space all the cooking equipment sits in plastic boxs under the seats until the awning goes up. Even then its about the same size habitation as a vw bay or split screen campervan btw I've had both although only ever camped in the bay's. Hot summer nights easy to cool side Windows vent top tent unzip cool nights diesel air heater will come into play.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
Any consolation Eddy, after 15 years driving the Kia (auto) I still occasionally go to change gear... and come to a screaming halt when I hit the brake pedal with my left foot...hard.
Plus sometimes (though not often) turn the key and sit there looking dumb while I wonder why no crank.... not in P.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts