Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, At my wits end with my clio. Put petrol in and drove a few miles. Luckily insurance said they would cover it. Fuel system was stripped and engineer okayd garage to repair. Picked up car but there was loud knocking and told not safe to drive far! Garage say could be something to do with petrol contamination (ie piston) but perhaps not. Was no noise before petrol contamination. Engineer from insurance company says garage need to strip engine down to see if it is from petrol contamination but if it turns out it isn't then I have to pay for it to be stripped. My questions (finally!)......
If there was a chance that contamination could affect engine why wasn't that stripped down from the beginning? If the problem is my big end why wasn't it knocking before it went into garage 6 weeks ago? Could the garage have done something that is responsible for the noise?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
was the petrol from the dodgy batch being sold in supermarkets etc?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
is your car a diesel?

if so draining is necessary, then refilled full, it may run a bit lumpy for a while until all the petrol disappears, but shouldn't really cause too much trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is diesel and it has had the fuel system replaced! It cost £3200. Now there is this terrible noise which wasn't there until it went into the garage over 6 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
did you get an itemised bill? what did they do exactly for £3200?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts