Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just taken my Clio 3 diesel through a service at an independant garage and wanted to get some second opinion from the pros here. On the sheet there are some suggested items, but I'm not sure quite what to think of it and whether or not they are trying it on slightly? Here's a break down...

I was quoted £46 for replacing the wipers??! Sounds a bit steep, no indication if they are genuine parts or after market.

Brake fluid, £60!??

Slightly play in a steering arm. £135. How important might this be?

Timing belt. Yes it's been 5 years, but they also want to replace the waterpump and tensioners. £450! When it comes to the pump though, I'm an 'if it aint broke don't fix it type'. False economy or not, I don't know?

Labour time £75 per hour. Genuine dealership OK and I know they don't have the choice over labour time, but as far as independants go, I do know from insider knowledge and know that insurance companies pay £20-25 per hour for labour!!

Thoughts anyone?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there.

I'm a bit confused about the prices you've quoted - are they supply only, or supply and fit?

If supply only, then yes, they are quite expensive. But bleeding a braking system takes some time (fitting wipers, less so), but time is money. They could be working on someone else's car, rather than yours - so I wouldn't begrudge them charging for the labour.

Regards the water pump - this item is non-serviceable, and if you are (really) lucky, you might hear a whining from the bearing indicating it requiring replacement - but then, you may not. And a siezed water pump will snap your cambelt - so is it worth replacing? I would say so, that way you have plenty of peace of mind, and the garage has little excuse if it all goes in the shape of a pear.

The difference in labour rates, you mention is what's known as Warranty Rates - effectively the garage does what repairs are authorised at a reduced rate (often just above cost). But warranty/insurance companies have that negotiating power, and we (as individual consumers) do not. However, you always have the right to shop around.

Slight play in a steering arm isn't dangerous per se, but it will over time cause whichever tyre it relates to, to wear unevenly, and so require replacement at an earlier stage.

HTH

Paul

O

·
0 Posts
Hi, I've just taken my Clio 3 diesel through a service at an independant garage and wanted to get some second opinion from the pros here. On the sheet there are some suggested items, but I'm not sure quite what to think of it and whether or not they are trying it on slightly? Here's a break down...

I was quoted £46 for replacing the wipers??! Sounds a bit steep, no indication if they are genuine parts or after market.

Brake fluid, £60!??

Slightly play in a steering arm. £135. How important might this be?

Timing belt. Yes it's been 5 years, but they also want to replace the waterpump and tensioners. £450! When it comes to the pump though, I'm an 'if it aint broke don't fix it type'. False economy or not, I don't know?

Labour time £75 per hour. Genuine dealership OK and I know they don't have the choice over labour time, but as far as independants go, I do know from insider knowledge and know that insurance companies pay £20-25 per hour for labour!!

Thoughts anyone?
Wipers £46, **** off!
Brake fluid £60. At £75 ph it's possible.
Steering arm. £135, again **** off!
Timing belt, about right if it includes the water pump. They can check the pump to see if it's OK, there's a weep hole for that and it's what Renault would do. They won't change it if it didn't need it.

The labour rate of £75 is a steep for an independent, I would expect to pay £50 inc VAT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all....yes those prices include all the labouring and VAT. The garage in question is in the south of London direction.

Any idea where I could get some recommendations for a more reasonble independant garage in the vicinity?

If each of you were the garage I reckon I would be about £150 poorer in labour time :devil:

Cheers!!!

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I wish I could get £50 inc VAT in and around London...even indy's are charging £60+ not including VAT, dealers prob £100 ish ph

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
if the wipers are the aero type (floppy ones) they can be quite expensive £30+ in my experience, phone a local motor factors and find out how much they are to you.

P

·
0 Posts
I've never used the really cheap eBay flat blades, but guys I know that have only seem to get 6 months to a year out of them

I use these guys,
http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/

I've put Valeo on the wifes Modus and Bosh on the subaru, both seem good and about £18 a set

O

·
0 Posts
I've used the cheap ones and the expensive ones and came to the conclusion that they did the same job for a similar amount of time.

Grit, ice and other road **** work their magic on all brands. :d

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
check out Wipex Ltd, for 2005-2009 megan scenic £24 a pair not sure of the cost for Clio 3

O

·
0 Posts
I haven't bought any for my current Scenic, looks like I'm in for a shock when I next need some wipers then. :d

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Any idea where I could get some recommendations for a more reasonble independant garage in the vicinity?

Cheers!!!
Where exactly are you, and how far would you be prepared to travel ? This would help in recommending a garage.

I've used this place for years and would recommend them to anyone, based in Carshalton.

http://www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk/garage/details/MTg0OA==

No harm in giving them a ring to get an idea of the costs involved, even if you chose not to use them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts