Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just replaced the gear knob on my laguna with an chrome one but it is slightly loose ( I bought one of those universal ones on Ebay). It has a grub screw to tighten it but the problem is that the gear shaft itself is slightly narrower than the insert in the gear knob. Is it possible to buy some kind of adaptor that would slide on over the gear shaft giving the new knob a more snug fit?:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about a narrow strip of paper rolled up and inserted in the hole in the bottom of the knob? this would then unfurl to create your spacer - If you get the length / width right it would invisibly fill the slack exactly and the grub screw will cut through it to stop it all slipping off.. Lowtech solution but quick and free!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about a narrow strip of paper rolled up and inserted in the hole in the bottom of the knob? this would then unfurl to create your spacer - If you get the length / width right it would invisibly fill the slack exactly and the grub screw will cut through it to stop it all slipping off.. Lowtech solution but quick and free!
Tried that but the problem is that after a couple of days the whole thing loosens up again. I am going to try some double sided sticky tape.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Sometimes the new knobs come with a rubber sleeve that fits over the lever first, then you fit the new knob over this.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
What was wrong with the old one - in my book if it ain't broke don't fix it -or is it a case of we'll just keep fixing it till it is broke. Sorry I forgot fancy gear knobs make the car go quicker. Only joking though:rofl: One solution I used was to get a piece of copper pipe and adapt it to fit inside the gear knob and then screw it up. Unfortunately some months later the grub screw failed (stripped threads) and I then resorted to using some pretty strong adhesive (epoxy resin type stuff) which lasted for yonks. Some of the fancy gear knobs actually come supplied with an adhesive especially for the job. Maybe in your situation it was a case of "buying cheap and paying twice":) "Caveat emptor" (buyer beware)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the old one was flaking and was driving me nuts. Someone also suggested using plumbers tape. I'll let you know how I get on:)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
OH look another thread waiting for some Knob jokes

Glue your knob on with some Araldite epoxy resin It will last longer than the rest of the car

Steve

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you get the original konb off?
Ive been trying for 2 days to get the gear knob off my scenic!!
Hacksaw and pliers and brute strength. Be careful though not to cut into the metal "lever". Also, when I tried pulling my knob off ( ahem!) I pulled the lever out as well. Fortunately it goes back in fairly easily but the gear change isn't as smooth as it used to be. Good luck!:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The gear knob is bonded on with an epoxy resin. Cut down the back of the knob using a hacksaw - you may have to use the blade on its own during the last bit of cutting to get enough clearance. It may be necessary to make further cuts to get it fully released. Avoid cutting or damaging the metal lever. The new one can be bonded on but some rely on using a grub screw. If bonding the gear lever must be thoroughly cleaned otherwise it will come loose.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts