Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow renault owners
i have a 99 reg 1.4 scenic that is losing coolant from behind the alternator. i can get my fingers too where i think the leak is and i think its on a solid pipe not a hose. any ideas, is there a quick fix or is it a big job.........

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I don't know the exact engine type and can't see it but I would suspect either the metal pipe going to the water pump is leaking. Either it has corroded through or its seal has failed. Have a look for supporting brackets along the length of the pipe. When these and its ajoining hose are removed the pipe just pulls out. A few wiggles will help. The pipe itself isn't too expensive if I remember correctly and fitting a new one along with a new seal is the best option. A smear of washing-up liquid on the new seal helps during assembly.:)

G

·
1999 means It could be the Mk1 Phase 2 Scenic with the larger headlamps? if it is it will have the 1.4 K4J engine. It's a plastic pipe that pushes into the back of the water pump and connects to the lower radiator hose and heater return which will need disconnecting IIRC there is one bolt that holds the plastic pipe to the block once removed the pipe can be removed so you can replace the O ring type seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello madnoel10, i followed the metal pipe to the left behind the alternator and it hits a wall and i found water there. i filled the water up and then went for a 20 mile drive and put over 2 litres of water back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.