Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
im new to this site so hopefully someone can help plz.i have a laguna 1.9dci and was driving home as normal then suddenely it just lost all power, no warning lights come on tho got aa out and towed me home he said it might be turbo gone is this right any help would be grateful
jeff

·
Registered
92 Posts
A sure sign of a blown turbo is loads of black smoke coming out the exhaust. Did the sound of the engine change at all? I ask this because one of the hoses might've popped off somewhere. Have a look under the bonnet for any loose or split hoses/pipes, starting from the air filter right the way to the inlet manifold. If the turbo is easily accessible then it might be worth taking the intake hose off the turbo and checking if there's any oil sitting around the blades or if there's any play in the shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi marty
a little bit of smoke came out, it starts up ok no warning lights but when i was driving home i did hear a sort of whistling each time i changed gear

·
Registered
92 Posts
You might be lucky, it could be a loose hose but have a good look around and be 100% sure it's not before you take it to a garage and say your turbo's blown, you might save yourself a fortune.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Martys advice is good,and also have a look at the intercooler,they have a habit of splitting.

If it is the turbo itself,then avoid driving it.What will happen is it will start sucking engine oil out of the sump and the engine will rev up to 100,000 rpm and you won't be able to switch it off!.It's quite a frightening experience,I can tell you!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Intercooler

My Laguna makes a whooshing noise and I have just been diagnosed with a split intercooler - but she still drives even if its got as much go as a deceased rabbit? Power pogo's as it hits 2k then behaves like a 50cc scooter!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi all my local garage had a look and changed the mass flow meter but its still not 100% so will have to take to renault to be checked out :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi marty yep it cost 260 to supply and fit then got phone call saying theres power there but not coming through so he is looking at the maf tomorrow and let me know if that is it have you got any sugesstions plz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi all got my car back today and it drives lovely so turbo never went just had to replace mass air system so fingers crossed all is well,, just one more bit i have got a tin sound coming from my exhaust does anyone know if this is bad or ok thx jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi marty thx for your advice ive saved a small fortune i hope :beer: it sounds like it is just under the passenger seat

·
Registered
92 Posts
It could be something rattling around in the cat, or if you've got a lambda sensor it might be the casing moving about, I've had that before, nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
hi all got my car back today and it drives lovely so turbo never went just had to replace mass air system so fingers crossed all is well,, just one more bit i have got a tin sound coming from my exhaust does anyone know if this is bad or ok thx jeff
Could also be the heat sheild, I think it runs the entire length, I've had issues nrear the back-box and had to bend it up out of the way - sounds like tin rattling - I noticed it more shutting the boot, didn't take a minute to find and sort out. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts