Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Christmas I had a problem with my 99 clio seriously losing power while driving. It started to judder and smell like burning, I managed to get it home at 10mph, that's the most it would do and it was trying to stall all way back stopping at traffic lights. It wouldn't even pull to get up the slope of the drive when I got back and it's not very steep.

Took the spark plugs out, cleaned them and it didn't happen again. If that was a coincidence or the solution I don't know.

Thinking back on it before it happened it had stalled when reversing into parking spaces three times in the weeks leading up to it, juddering at low speeds and just generally seemed less smooth and less powerful after gear changes.

Now I'm starting to feel a bit of a loss of power again. Particularly after gear changes it just isn't pulling away right.

Iv put in new plugs (this hasn't made any difference), new air filter went in last night and it's going to have an oil and filter change this week.

Any suggestions what could be causing it and what else is worth looking at?
Thanks.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,387 Posts
Took the spark plugs out, cleaned them and it didn't happen again. If that was a coincidence or the solution I don't know.

Iv put in new plugs (this hasn't made any difference), new air filter went in last night and it's going to have an oil and filter change this week. .
What was the colour of the tip of the old plugs ..... dry and white-ish or black and sooty ? Possibly wet too with fuel or oil? Where all 4 plugs exactly the same condition or was one or two very different to the others?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plugs taken out were blackened. One of them was slightly rusted. But putting the new plugs in hasn't made it run better.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
Hi

check rear brake drums - could be a shoe has lost its friction lining and its roaming around in there and locks it up every now and then ?

Al

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its had new brakes fitted & it's not that kind of a feeling it's a loss of pull from the engine combined with juddering and wanting to stall.

Iv had a brake shoe come loose a few years ago which then got jammed & it stopped it dead I couldn't budge at all which didn't end well.

I should also add that the HT leads have been replaced and a second earth fitted. The crank shaft sensor has also been replaced after a different issue.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
Its had new brakes fitted & it's not that kind of a feeling it's a loss of pull from the engine combined with juddering and wanting to stall.

Iv had a brake shoe come loose a few years ago which then got jammed & it stopped it dead I couldn't budge at all which didn't end well.

I should also add that the HT leads have been replaced and a second earth fitted. The crank shaft sensor has also been replaced after a different issue.
thanks for confirming that.

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts