Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a Renault matter down the motorway heading for two weeks of social distancing and the oil light comes on. We pull over and pop the bonnet and there is oil everywhere and accept in the engine. We get towed a n a the mechanic fill so it up with oil and starts it and can only find a tiny leak from the breather valve on top of the crankcase. He pushed it down and it makes a clicking sound and we think we have an easy solution. We wipe it down and leave a clean rag on it for a short test-drive and after one more check for no leaks we get back on the motorway. We pull in for deisel and check the engine and were down to almost empty with oil sprayed everywhere again. I put oil in it today and it ran fine, we cleaned as much as we could and got it up on tracks to check the bottom and can't find a leak anywhere. Engine runs great, good power.... Any ideas on things to check or how to work on the breather valve would be appreciated. or other explanations for a massive oil leak that doesn to show itself except at high speeds Im not a mechanic but have tools and it's been hard to get a shop to look at in because of the virus.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,019 Posts
Size of engine?

Must admit I am struggling to think what would spray oil over.....
Seen turbo pipes split but you say no turbo.
Seen oil filter split but they just spew oil everwhere if they do.
I suppose oil filter seal could be a little loose and higher engine temp is letting it leak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be a problem with the breather valve and pressure release from the crankcase? We drove it today, kept it very slow and didn't loose any oil..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing to mention is that it's on the top of the engine block all over the crankcase. So it seems like it's coming from the top of the engine somewhere

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any thoughts!? We've been needing to get good so driving very slowly to the supermarket. No leaks at this dpeeds.

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
2.0 diesel non turbo?...............

What is the exact model code on your oval plate or post the first 10 letters of the VIN.

If non-turbo then re-breathing system is either damaged (cracked/split hoses or catch-can setup gone) or you have simply too much sump compression ................

If EGR fitted could be stuck open and feeding exhaust flow to sump via intake at the wrong time to blow oil out

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,019 Posts
Is there an oil gallery core plug on that motor?
Hidden under the exhaust manifold?
Summat like that could make sense.
I'm also wondering on the oil pressure relief valve stuck.
Given that it seems to be high speed (so presumably higher sustained revs) and that will equate to highest oil pressure?

TBH I cannot see it being the PCV or breather.
Yes that will cause oil loss if not working right but I've had engines where you could see daylight down the side of the pistons, the breather was a bit of gauze in the top of the oil filler cap and they didn't empty the oil out in a single journey.... did keep the top of the engine oily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts