Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, bought a mk2 clio a fortnight ago. Realised the front shocks are very worn so have purchased new ones for a friend to put on. Big problem the chap that sold me the car has lost half oof the alloy lock key!!! So cant get the work done....! I do have the box that the lock came in which has a code. What is gonna be the cheapest way of sorting this? Am so broke now and am so angry the guy lost it lol. Any ideas or help massively appreciated. Thank you to anyone who helps.:devil:

R

·
0 Posts
What I have done in the past is to get an old socket and hammer it over the old locking wheel bolt then undo it normaly but that depends on the type of locking wheel bolt and how much clearance there is round the wheel bolt to get a socket on.

Another option an one I had to do on a wheel stud on Chrysler Voyager I owend a few years ago is to drill out the center of the wheel nut. I then had to replace the stud. I don't see why the same wouldn't work on a wheel bolt. Start with a small drill as centrally as you can and gradually work your way up in size it might be possible to then a left hand thread extractor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5PCE-DAMAGED-...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19c2e690d7

If not keep going up in drill sizes until the wheel bolt head drops off. No need to drill to deep below the bolt head and you should be left with enough bolt sticking out to remove with mole grips once the wheel has been removed.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Many tyre dealers and breakdown services come across this problem on a daily basis.

There are a range of special sockets which can remove locking bolts but ideally they need to be used with an air wrench.

Try a local tyre dealer - never know your luck.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had the same problem with an audi tt,went to halfords bought a locking wheel nut remover for £16 came off easy but like said above you need windy gun or good battery powered impact gun,other options are like said bang a socket on or weld a nut to the locker bolt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts