Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I had the misfortune to experience a strange problem with the drivers electric window. It wouldnt go up unless the car was deadlocked. This was duly fixed under warranty by the dealer, who replaced the regulator.

Now yesterday, the day it was booked in for its 18K service I went to get in the car having left it out overnight in the snow and found that the nearside rear window was down, the rear seat was covered in snow and very wet. The door switch was also soaking wet and the window refused to operate, although others did OK.

Later in the day I had a call from the Renault Minute service manager to say that they found the window motor failed and needed to be replaced the following day once a new part can be sourced.

I now feel concerned given the way in which the motor failed that I may park my car in a busy town only to find that when I return one of the windows may be left open exposing the contents of my car to opportunist thieves.

Th manager did suggest that it might have been something to do with the fail safe window device that stops the window fully closing if theres something in the way, but it doesnt put my mind at rest. As the car is nearing 2 years old I feel like getting rid of it!

Model: 1.5 dCI - 80, 5 Dr.

Anybody else had issues with electric windows?

BTW, there has apparantly been a recall on some older cars with regard to this fault, but mine was too new.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
When you were told that your car was 'too new' to be affected by the recall - was the preson referring to the build-date or date of first registration? They are not the same, you could find that your car was built quite a few months before it was first registered.

I understand how you feel regarding this - the insurance implications are also serious.

I hope this was a one-off incident - I know it will take some time to regain the confidence you previously had.

Paul:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information,

I dont know whether they checked on Build date or registration date, but as I have to collect the car later today I'll ask.

I seem to recall that when I bought the car, it was one of the ones where the dealer was registering them to shift to meet sales targets so it most probably was built a while before being registered.

What are the insurance implications?

Do I have to advise my Insurance company about this then?

Surely they will load my insurance premium if the car could potentially be a thieves honeypot.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Well, the insurance implications are that someone can gain entry to your car without leaving any trace of a break-in (which could look like you left it unsecured).

I'd be inclined not to tell the insurance at this point yet - they may refuse to cover the car.

I would however get in touch with Renault Customer Services and escalate the matter within the dealership - you need assurance from them that this problem was a one-off, and get something in writing to this effect. This would cover you for any subsequent failure (hopefully it isn't needed).

All the best,

Paul:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have written a letter and its in the post to RCS and copied to local dealer which I delivered by hand explaining that I wanted them to escalate it from their end.

Dealer was very sympathetic and understanding.

I will post update once I hear from RCS.

Many thanks for advice given, much appreciated.

Glenn.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Keep us to date developments,Geebee.:)

I hope you get a satisfactory out come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts