Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, I have recently lost my keys somehow, so I am now left with only the spare key for my Laguna II (2004).
Is the only way to get a new card to go back to renault or is there an alternative. How much will Renault charge for a new keycard.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

I'm afraid Renault is your only option now, They charge upwards of £120 for keycard and programming.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is scandalous in my opinion!
I am a bit short of cash this month if I were to lose my spare would I then incur even more expense to get new keys (ie could new keys be purchased for my car without me having one at all), or is it something I should get sorted asap.
Thanks

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I was in a similar situation with my Vel Satis - contacted my insurance company and its currently getting a new lock, cards and ecu reprogrammed free of charge (no excess) and at no damage to my ncb, and a courtesy car to boot!

Its worth checking your policy details before forking out any cash.

Paul:)

Reactions: Torch DCi

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I like it VelSatisfied.....good post, most would not have though of that

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I probably wouldn't have bothered if Renault hadn't printed "Vel Satis" on the card, and I knew it had been lost locally. I just didn't fancy trying to explain to the insurers how somebody managed to nick the car without forcing entry (or, if after getting Renault to re-program the remaining keycards), someone was able to gain entry through the emergency key.

It was a real result when they told me it was all gratis!

Having to slum it in an '06 plate Corsa 1.8SXi just now:rolleyes: ...(the only drawback).

Lesson has been well learned though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think I lost mine locally, suspect it was when out and about last week. Anyway will try my insurer, if not I have phoned around all my local Renault dealers and the cheapest so far is £119 which compared to some other quotes is good (highest was about £170), even a local Renault independent quoted £140!!!
It is a complete rip-off but at the end of the day I was the one who lost the card.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of interest if I order a new card will it (and my spare) be programmed so that the old card should it ever be found stop working or will they all (new and lost) share the same code.
I remember reading somewhere that new codes will be programmed so the old one would not work anymore.
Based on VelSatisfied's situation I suspect not!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I can only speak of my situation (it may differ for you), but my car's getting a new set of keycards (3 in total), plus they will be programmed to the ecu (which I would presume will get a 'new' coding to render the old ones obsolete. The emergency lock on the passenger door (under the cover at the handle) is also getting replaced and will match up with the emergency keys in the new keycards. This will mean that no opportunist will be able to open the car or start it up using the keycard or key that was lost.

All in all, I would reckon that this is costing a good few hundred (that's me had a week's car hire so far, and the car's still away). So the final bill may be closer to a grand - but not for me.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Just had 3 quotes from Renault as I require a spare.
Keycard costs £64.02 + Vat which is obtained from Renault (France) presumably with my cars info programmed in. The vehicle then must be taken to a local Renault dealer who will programme it to the ECU at a cost of £40 (cheapest)
What a racket.:crazy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, my keys still haven't turned up as I hoped so I will be down to order my new card tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Out of interest if I order a new card will it (and my spare) be programmed so that the old card should it ever be found stop working or will they all (new and lost) share the same code.
I remember reading somewhere that new codes will be programmed so the old one would not work anymore.
Based on VelSatisfied's situation I suspect not!
As I understand it, the coding works two ways:
1) The card is programmed to match the serial number in the car's various computers.
2) The car's ECU is programmed to recognise the unique and separate serial number in the card.

The first point is the reason why second hand cards are useless. The cards can only ever be programmed with one computer system's serial number - it's a one-shot programming system.

The second point can effectively be used to disable lost/stolen cards. The car will only recognise the cards that were present at the most recent programming. Any cards that were not taught to the car on that occasion will no longer be recognised, even if the car had been programmed to accept them in the past.

So your lost or stolen card should be doubly useless now. It can't be programmed for use on another car, and your car will be programmed not to recognise it when it's paired up with your new and existing keycards.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
These are all valid points, but there's the matter of the inbuilt emergency key to consider - it doesn't require a transponder signal (or likewise) to open the car.

Got my own car back yesterday - all is well - turns out there was a couple of recalls outstanding - so car will be heading back once parts are in stock.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
These are all valid points, but there's the matter of the inbuilt emergency key to consider - it doesn't require a transponder signal (or likewise) to open the car.
True enough, though if they only want to gain entry to the car rather than steal it, then the universal key would do the trick. The unversal key being a long, rectangular piece of baked clay, more commonly used for building houses :p

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Lost Keycard

Horatio perhaps you may be able to enlighten me further. When I purchased my Laguna 11 there was only one key card supplied, the dealer said that was all they had and enquiries had been made by them but they had failed to trace the missing card.

I decided to get a spare for emergencies and went through the performance with the Renault dealer and eventually got my spare which cost me €205 (Euros).

If what you say is correct how is that my original card, still operates? If the original still operates surely the missing one would to.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I assume that they had access to your one remaining card when they programmed the new one?

What they'll have done is:
1) Obtained a new card and coded it to the ECU serial number of the car (this may have been done by Renault prior to delivery of the card if the new rules were in place at the time)
2) Erased the card list in the car's memory. At this point, the car won't accept any card.
3) Taught the ECU to recognise your new keycard.
4) Taught the ECU to recognise your old keycard.

The lost keycard will match the ECU serial number, but the ECU will no longer recognise that card's own unique serial number.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts