Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there forum. I have recently bought a renault laguna 2.0l 1999 which has been running great' however the other day when starting it has a loud knocking from seamingly the top of the engine, and you can feel the knock with your hands pressed against it. someone said it could be camshaft related but I totally dont know. I usually do my own repaires and would appreciate any comments. thanks a lot. jase

G

·
I'm not familiar with what engine was fitted when in the Laguna. The 2.0 16v F4R was fitted at some point and that has a history of dephaser pulley problems and are mounted on the inlet cam shaft. Though I have a feeling you might not have the F4R in your car?

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,804 Posts
Hi thanks rfor the reply recycled..the car is a 1999 renault laguna, reg V322 JGD I'm not sure what the engine is it say; Laguna rtii, 1998cc?
Check for a plate riveted onto the block on the front of the engine near the gearbox side

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there again, thanks for your input. I have just got the car towed back to my house and will be looking at it tomorrow. I have called renault to find out what engine is in the car but have to wait till tomorrow to speak with a technician. Again thanks for your advise and I'll keep you posted with my progress...

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If the oil filler cap is in the centre of the cam cover then it's the Volvo engine (N7Q),if the filler is to the left then it is the Renault engine (F4R).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the oil cap is on the left side as you look at it, so must be the latter...!!

Not looking forward to tomorrow but these things need fixed, hopefully i'll be looking at something lose or lose then broken because it happened so suddenly, not when I was driving' there was no noise or prior notice.

Well I'll see what tomorrow brings...Thanks ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
valve cover removed and the camshaft(s) seem to stick at certain points but no visible broken parts, grinding is apparent on the shafts themselfs.

so puzzled as to what is creating the knock? could it be the water pump?

Just hoping its not further down in the engine:(

thanks for your input!
jase

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.