Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Driving home one night very recently and the dash flashed 'LOW BATTERY' and also the STOP and Battery icon lit. I pulled over briefly and decided to go another route in case the car broke down. Drove down a slip road and waited for lights to change and after about 30 secs of waiting (about 3 mins since message showed) there was a faint 'click' and the fan blower (setting 3) audibly sped up and the engine seemed to speed up too. Drove the remaining 16 miles without issue and just drove another 17 miles (all motorway) without issue too.

Just checked alternator and battery to get the following results:

Idle: 12.45V
Lights, Blower, Radio, Heater ~ 13.9 - 14.4V
A/C on as well drops to 11.9 - 12V

Any pointers as this only started happening about 2 days ago? Battery is one from new and so is approx. 5 years old.

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was thinking that is probably coming but take it you can't top-up these batteries? Current (no pun intended) is a Renault but what is a good make - Bosch?

Would this or perhaps a relay be the cause of the warning though and what value is acceptable on someone's battery?

I understand the A/C puts a hefty load on the battery too but less than 12V has me concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts