Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right section. If its wrong sorry.

My car:
1.4 16v Clio 2002 (52 plate)
around 60k miles

Okay, so my problem is that my car idles really low. so much so that on cold starts it stalls unless i keep the gas on a bit. i've had it looked at and been told the idle control valve is dirty or faulty and that its around £300 to fix. Now i dont claim to know much about cars so be nice.
I dont have that sort of money to spend on a reletivly small problem. My idea, and please tell me if its a bad one, is to somehow keep my gas pedle lower down as if i was keeping a small amount of gas on. i havnt thought too much into it but im thinking maybe get a length of string around the pedle and tie it to something that would keep the gas on for me.
Obviously i dont want to make it dangerous so would have to make sure nothing gets in the way of the driving itself.
is there any other cheap fix for my problem you guys can think of?
Also, if i carry on running my car with a dirty/faulty IDE will it damage other engine parts or will it keep limping along until it totally dies?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The idle speed is controlled by the engine ECU so trying to adjust the cable or throttle body won't work. Sadly the days of twiddling with the throttle settings are long gone

The ECU adjusts the idle speed according to both air and engine coolant temperatures, etc.

If you are certain it is in fact the idle control valve then a clean-up may help.

If the problem only arises when cold it could be an engine coolant temp sensor problem.

Poor engine running can cause damage to the CAT which is not cheap to repair.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply.

I dont think you'e understood my plan.
im not doing anything under the hood, im just wanting to maybe tie something around the gas pedle to keep a little more gas on for me when idling.

what is a "CAT"?
please dont try and answer that with a joke! :p

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
My idea, and please tell me if its a bad one, is to somehow keep my gas pedle lower down as if i was keeping a small amount of gas on. i havnt thought too much into it but im thinking maybe get a length of string around the pedle and tie it to something that would keep the gas on for me.
Obviously i dont want to make it dangerous so would have to make sure nothing gets in the way of the driving itself.
Its a bad idea. (sorry)

If you really cannot afford a repair, then drive around the problem by keeping your right foot rested on the accelerator.

It shouldn't have any 'knock-on' effect (apart from using a touch more fuel, and possibly a bit of extra strain on the battery & starter from repeated restarts), but I could never endorse fitting a device which lessens your control of your car.

Paul

R

·
0 Posts
thanks for the quick reply.

I dont think you'e understood my plan.
im not doing anything under the hood, im just wanting to maybe tie something around the gas pedle to keep a little more gas on for me when idling.

what is a "CAT"?
please dont try and answer that with a joke! :p

It’s the Catalytic converter in the exhaust and is an expensive item to replace.

As already said trying to tie the throttle pedal with string isn’t a very good idea and potentially dangerous if the throttle pedal jams on! :eek: Though depending on the throttle body design you might be able to restrict the amount the throttle closes there but still not a very good idea really.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I had a similar problem but probably not so bad as yours, the revs would drop when stopping at a junction and often I had to re start. I never got round to fixing it , it just cured itself. my car had sat at a car sales place for maybe six months and I presume that was the cause, maybe it wont work for you but it may just sort itself. I have done some dodgy things but never bits of string on the accelerator ! best to put up with it and see how it goes if you cant do anything about it now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have exactly the same thing wrong with my Renault megane 52 plate 1.4 Fidji. Checked aot of things form idle control valve, ignition coils, plugs, crankshaft sensor and other sensors to no avail.....Maybe just a process of illimination?:crazy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they guy who looked at my car said it was a regular fault with Renaults.
guess we're just the unlucky ones. I was told that if it was a 1.2 it would be a simple fix.
i would also like to add that my sunroof leakes which is another very common fault with clios. if anyone knows how to fix this on the cheap that would be amazing!

im never getting a renault again after my experiences!

R

·
0 Posts
my sunroof leakes which is another very common fault with clios. if anyone knows how to fix this on the cheap that would be amazing!
If you do a "search" some one has posted with pics how he stopped his sunroof leaking :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts