Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern Ireland and our local vehicle inspectors (employed by the government) have been out alongside police stopping the boy racers in their lowered cars checking the security of springs, shocks, etc. On some occasions the inspectors have taken the vehicles away to be inspected and were shocked by some of the things they found – so much so they invited a local TV station in to film some of their findings. They showed a small car (I think it was a Clio) up on a ramp which had been fitted with lowered rear springs and when the suspension was dropped the shortened spring fell out. The travel of the shock absorber (which limits the extent of suspension travel) was greater than the length of the spring. This clampdown was apparently the result of a similar car which had been involved in an accident. Has anyone else come across a similar situation? Comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi my wife is from Lisburn and i lived there for 16 years just came back to Scotland 3 years ago they pulled me in with a toyota Carrola 1.6 16v i had lowered they used a measering tool and i either had to take it back up or try and tuck the exhaust up to give me the legal clearance from the ground and i missed the the rest of the ulster rally because of it what about yesterday it was a good day for the provance yes or no???

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Och eye the Noo

Hi Donald Yeh maybe we can look forward to a brighter future but in all honesty most decent folk remain quite cynical about it as thy are well and truly fed up getting fed the same old chant from all the major parties and it goes like this "To hell with the future - let's live in the past" But enough of the politics from what you say you fell foul of the MOT guys over here in Northern Ireland (NI). Would you agree the MOT standards in NI are more strict than the UK mainland or is it just my view. From what I see on this forum it looks like people in the mainland seem to be able to get away with more at MOT testing time. All the best and god luck.:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi oh yes with out a doubt its harder over there than the mainland for sure i think its a day out here going for a mot i know my tester as he does the repairs i do not tend to do myself and you start to build a repore with them but in NI when you go for the test your made to line up in the bay area 5 mins before your test and then the doors open with the tester in shirt and tie calling you forward and testing your car with you in it and having no contact at all with you.I think its a good thing all the same its good to see a good car on the road that 100% road legal.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I personally think that since all parts of a car inter-relate and support each other, then it is very difficult to 'enhance' one area without it being at the expense of another - many custom jobs are done on a shoestring, with little or no experience involved (it tends to be a 'bolt-on' rather than a holistic view employed)- therefore you find the scenario you described occuring more and more often.

I'm not saying all owners fall into this category, but sadly, a significant portion probably do, hence the crackdown.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolt on bits

Well said Vel – I believe we all have the right to personalise our cars but it should be done to the proper standards and be safe. Yeh! There are guys and gals out there who would put an up-rated engine into the vehicle but give little or no thought of how they are going to get it stopped or keep it on the road. Generally a few bolt on bits do very little to enhance the cars overall performance and in some case actually detract from it. Also in my opinion the suppliers of some of the so-called go-faster bolt-on bits tend to exaggerate the benefits which in my view is a bit of a con really. It just looks like some fools are easy parted with there money. Over the past number of years I have spoken to some of the boy-racer types and non have even bothered to inform their insurers of the modifications they have made. So apart from the safety aspects of modding there is also the legal aspect as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts