Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys iv been toying with the idea of slamming my fidji but kinda stuck on what i would need to lower the back as the rear axle don't have springs so im assuming i need a lowed rear axle.....all the kits iv looked at come with front and rear springs even if i search for my model and year it still comes up with springs for front and rear...any ideas would be grateful thanks...

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If there are no springs on the rear then the car will have torsion bar suspension which can be adjusted to lower the back end. Sadly lowering torsion bar suspension will only make road handling worse as the springing of the torsion bars can't be altered - only its position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there are no springs on the rear then the car will have torsion bar suspension which can be adjusted to lower the back end. Sadly lowering torsion bar suspension will only make road handling worse as the springing of the torsion bars can't be altered - only its position.
thanks....when you say worse is it a highly noticeable worse or a slight worse i dont drive like a lunatic lol im more of a look what i got driver lol if that makes sense

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so iv spent the last half of the day searching for info on lowering the Renault megane scenic fidji and i found absolutely sod all there are loads of vids out there with how to do it on other cars but nothing on mine iv watched every vid and not one even resembles my torsion bar.....if anyone has actually done it before on my model car please help a brother out....or even if you live in the hampshire area hit me up and ill come over to you were you could walk me through it im confident in doing it but just need to know how to do it first of all....thanks in advance...id appreciate any help guys...

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
thanks....when you say worse is it a highly noticeable worse or a slight worse i dont drive like a lunatic lol im more of a look what i got driver lol if that makes sense

All I would say is make sure you have a good dental plan and loads of money to keep fixing the exhaust.:d

In my opinion for a lowered car to look good the curvature of the wheel arch should be in proportion to the curvature of the wheel.

Also remember the rear torsion bar suspension tends to suffer from corrosion on older cars and should it fail then you'll need to go hunting for a replacement - not trying to put you off just making you aware of any pitfalls.

Try the link below - although it not for your exact model the prionciple is similar.

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/mechanical/37-enclosed-rear-torsion-bar.html

Edit: NOTE. Just a polite warnig. Such mods are likely to affect your insurance premiums and if you don't notify your insurers they may refuse to give you cover or worse, fail to pay out should the inevitable happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I would say is make sure you have a good dental plan and loads of money to keep fixing the exhaust.:d

In my opinion for a lowered car to look good the curvature of the wheel arch should be in proportion to the curvature of the wheel.

Also remember the rear torsion bar suspension tends to suffer from corrosion on older cars and should it fail then you'll need to go hunting for a replacement - not trying to put you off just making you aware of any pitfalls.

Try the link below - although it not for your exact model the prionciple is similar.

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/mechanical/37-enclosed-rear-torsion-bar.html

Edit: NOTE. Just a polite warnig. Such mods are likely to affect your insurance premiums and if you don't notify your insurers they may refuse to give you cover or worse, fail to pay out should the inevitable happen.
yeh I know what you mean the more I try to find out about it the less I actually wanna do it lol...i read that earlyer lol I went out to check my torsion bar and it looks like I have two but I'm assuming the only one id need to pull out is the one with the covers on...like I said I'm confident in doing it just need to know how to do it first
...from what I gathered
1. I jack up the car
2. support the rear axle
3. take off wheel
4. measure the distance from center cap of hub to floor
5. Pull out torsion bar
6. Lift up axle to desired hight.
7. pop torsion bar back in..

I suppose my biggest question is do I have to do the same again on the other side as surely lifting one side up will pull up other side with it being a solid axle...thats were my confusion lies lol...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if I decide to do it I will do a detailed explanation of how to do it I don't even wanna drop it that low tbf about 40/50mill is all

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Yes you have to adjust both sides but check they are equal in height to begin with as any difference in the torsion of either side will appear more exaggerated when lowered. Ideally you need to lower the front and then adjust the rear to suit. Also measure the space between the axles and their bump stops. You don't want the axle too close as it will bottom out sending shock waves up your spine.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts