Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car converted on 7th March to LPG. Some of you with big petrol engines (more likely to be Range Rovers etc) or do high milage might be interested to know of my experiences so far.

First of all; the irreconcillable problems.

Now that I have got that out of the way, I should mention major problems.

You might see a common theme here.

Slight niggles:

1. Loss of boot space. I have a 60l toroid tank (doughnut) in place of the spare wheel which has lifted the floor by 2".

2. The spare wheel now lives in the garage because if I get a flat at work, I will always be within 15 miles from home and my wife can bring it for me in her car. I cannot use Holts tyreweld as it will nacker the pressure sensors, so if I am on a long journey I will have to rely on breakdown assistance. Hopefully, the sensors should alert me to a problem before I start the long journey, or give me enough warning to get to a Kwik Fit en-route.

3. Errr ... that's all I can think of.

Neutral stuff:

1. The filler cap is in the bottom of the bumper almost out of sight, so it doesn't spoil the cars looks.

2. The switch for switching between the 2 fuels is in the spare switch plate and doen't look out of place.

3. The ECU for the LPG is on top of the battery, but it appears to be easily moved by unscrewing a couple of brackets.

Benefits :rofl:

When it was just a 3.5l petrol car, it's pace was not dependant on engine size, but more on my wage packet and my conscience. If I put my foot down, I would later self flagellate with a cat o'nine tails. Likewise, I had to self flagellate for all of the old ladies in their Rover 100's that would occassionally overtake me or beat me at the lights. Either way, I was losing.

Now that I only pay 40.9p/l I use the cat o'nine tails to whip the tailgate of all those cars that used to overtake me:devil: Price varies between 33p/l and 49p/l - those of you that live in Wolverhampton or Cardiff I envy you. I now regularly use the car to it's potential, and I have even discovered that it is more economical to actually get on with the journey than to mess around in 2nd gear (it's an auto) at 30mph.

Conclusion:

If you can afford between between £1600 - £2500 for the conversion and you plan to keep your car long enough to see the advantage, I thoroughly recommend it.

A lot of convertors have fuel saving calculators in their web site - I plan to break even in less than 18 months. After that it is super cheap motoring. And don't worry about filling stations, their are plenty around.

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info! Would you recommend the people who did the conversion for you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! Would you recommend the people who did the conversion for you?
Yes, of course.

It was West Yorkshire Autogas, 5 Cross Chancellor Street, Leeds, LS6 2TG. 0113 2344097. Ask to speak to Rob and say that Paul with the Renault Vel Satis recommended them. The garage is by no means posh, but they are dedicated to lpg conversions; it is not a side business. Their web site doesn't work very well, but don't let that deter you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fully agree with twoscarecrows. I converted my 05 Megane 5 months ago and have already done 12,000 miles in it. Had no problems with it at all. I had a BRC Itallian system fitted at LPG cars in Coventry, who i would definatly reccomend. I carry my spare tyre with me in the boot, as i do a lot of motorway driving and am paranoid of having a blow out!!

The beauty of the Megane is that they obviously designed the car with LPG in mind. There is a spare bay next to the petrol filler for the LPG nozzle, so it all fits neat and tidily underneath the filler flap, no separate filler caps mounted onto the bumpers with this one!

The garage also say that they have converted a Laguna, it has flats cast or machined on to the cylinder heads ready for the LPG injection nozzles to be installed! Renault must be designing their cars for LPG installations.

In terms of MPG and costs, my Megane will hapily do 38-41 MPG motorway driving on petrol and when switched over to LPG will do 29-32 MPG. So there is a significant reduction. However I still make a return on the installation. Having done my sums, based on 41ppl on LPG, I calculated a return on investment after 25,000 miles with installation costs of £1600, based on 91ppl of petrol.

I have noticed no change to performance of the vehicle, it still accelerates well with little or no loss of torque.

Overall I am very glad I have had it converted and would deffinatly reccomend it to others out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to the site and this thread caught my eye as I drive vectra with LPG conversion at the moment but as of sat I should be picking up a 1.8 laguna II so LPG conversion is something I would also get done if possible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi guys,

I am considering getting an lpg conversion for my 2003 3.0l v6 sports tourer.
Does anyone have any experiences of this or know of an detrimental effects it will have.

I have just contacted my insurer who say that there is no way of knowing if my premium will go up, until I have the work done :crazy:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I would have thought that it would make a lot of sense to fit it to your car,especially if your doing a decent amount of miles a year.

I've got very little experience on LPG,but I have seen valves burnt out when earlier systems were used.I think up to date systems have an additive to prevent this happening.

Hopefully someone with more relevant experience can offer their opinions.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My other half has a Jeep with LPG conversion. The costs are hugely reduced. It doesnt seem to idle as well on the gas as on petrol (it can run on either - very small petrol tank tho!); other than that you can hardly notice the difference at all..... I'd recommend it. Make sure you check availability for supply at local garages though - we have to travel for 1.5hrs to get gas! Normally we tie it in when we're off to Hull for Tesco!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Hi guys,

I am considering getting an lpg conversion for my 2003 3.0l v6 sports tourer.
Does anyone have any experiences of this or know of an detrimental effects it will have.

I have just contacted my insurer who say that there is no way of knowing if my premium will go up, until I have the work done :crazy:
Might be worth considering changing your insurer. I know if you google lpg conversion there are a few websites that tell you about insurance companies that accept this conversion with no increase. They should be able to tell you providing you have it done at a recognised converter.

I am getting my megane 1 converted within the next couple of months by the same LGP CARS in coventry. They seem really good and the premium service gives you a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty so very good for peace of mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone have any experience of Vel Satis LPG Conversion

Toying with converting my 02 Velsatis. Love the car, but bit thirsty on the petrol.

Drive approx 15k miles / year, mainly motorway if that's important.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Toying with converting my 02 Velsatis. Love the car, but bit thirsty on the petrol.

Drive approx 15k miles / year, mainly motorway if that's important.

Thanks
Not a bad idea. Your MPG doesn't improve though. It drops a couple but that is it. Still saves me loads a year. On petrol I get 34MPG, on LPG I get 28-29MPG.

I definately don't regret it.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
OK. This is quite an old thread. But I feel the need to add to it.
My new (used) Scenic, being collected on Friday, runs on conventional fuel.
For the past 3 years, I have been driving a Vauxhall Combo Dualfuel van. I used the van for courier work, which, obviously entails a lot of mileage. One thing I did notice was that I got though a lot of plugs. I put my trust in the garage, who told me if they just needed de-sooting, or replacement. I was able to get just over 300 miles (motorway driving) out of a tank of fuel. Which only cost £30.00ish to fill up. So I am seriously considering, having the Scenic converted.
I am just about to put the van up for sale. Which had a new engine, last year. And a new clutch, last month

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
This is an old thread but with current fuel prices LPG makes even more sense.

I'm planning to convert a 2005 Laguna 2.0 litre. It also has space for a gas filler alongside the petrol filler. The petrol injector's shield can support the gas injectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2.0L 2005 Grand scenic II. Had my converted over a month ago with a Lovato Mini kit. The 65L torado tank sits under the car where the spare wheel used to sit. The filler has been situated next to the petrol filler as there was already a blank from the factory fitted version.

The car starts on petrol and only until you get to the second bar on the temp gauge does the LPG then flick over (you can't tell when it kicks in unless you look at your LPG gauge, so pretty seamless).

The LPG fuel gauges are pretty much useless in regards to giving you an accurate level, so you will need to gauge how much a tank gives you. On mine local journeys gives around 240 miles, motorway anything from 350 to 400. I probably get better economy runiing on LPG and don't get a 20% loss.

In regards to spark plugs, LPG runs hotter so changing them more often might be the case. I have been advised to buy the NGK LPG1 spark plugs but at £15 each they are costly.

Another one to watch out for is the petrol gauge, it does still go down even when running on LPG. The fuel sender and computer only seems to reset after the car has told you to refill and resets on the next start up (or try switching off the engine and restarting before a 12 second interval - must have used less than 4L of fuel). There are emulators and have bought one for £28 but have not fitted it yet (fits in side the car on the grey connector pins 22/23 on the electronic display).

Apart from that I am very pleased with the setup and being able to currently fill up for 72.9 pence a litre it sure beats the shocking petrol prices.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
Bosch Iridium spark plugs are good, 20k since installed and still look like new (other than slight discolouration of the ceramic insulator from use.)

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Did you have the head drilled for injectors in situ, or did the manifold come out?

I'm keen to go ahead with an LPG conversion when the moment suits, but think I will be asking for the intake manifold to come off. I just can't bring myself to trust in the 'reassurances' I have read that drilling with the manifold on the engine is a good idea at all.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
it was done insitu, the inlet ducts were bunged up with cloth/rags i think. there are blank marks on the front of the head just under the inlet manifold facing. the injector cover sits over where the drill points are located.
the cover would need to be milled out to allow the pipes to feed through it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes you can remove before drilling but what is more important is the company installing and staying in business.

Most of these installs come with a two year warrenty, just make sure you have got good after care (search the web recommendations) and that the company has been in business for a while (most close up within two years and don't honour the warrenty).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts