Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have got extremly noisy tappets on my clio. The garage bloke reccommended i have my oil changed to "lucas oil" i have no idea what this is but does anybody think it would work. i dont really want to change the oil as i changed it a few months ago (and now has alot of oil additives in it).

thanks in advance :crazy:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi the tappets in your car are hydraulic and sometimes when you change the oil and filter it does help and cure the problem but by the sounds of things it was only done about 3 months ago what oil was used??.iam sure someone will be able to put more light on this for you but i hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
HI tsunami - did you say you had a lot of oil additives in it. If you have added something other than oil thats maybe whats causing the prob., My advice is never to put anything but a quality oil in an engine - just hope you havn't caused any permanent damage. If additives have been put in get the oil and filter changed ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi the tappets in your car are hydraulic and sometimes when you change the oil and filter it does help and cure the problem but by the sounds of things it was only done about 3 months ago what oil was used??.iam sure someone will be able to put more light on this for you but i hope this helps
If this is the old model (mk 1) I don't it doesn't have hydraulic tappets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The information I have (which may be wrong) says the 1998 clio 1.2 had one of two engines. The D7F and the E7F, both of which have adjustable tappets.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Engine Oil

HI Tsunami -considering the information posted on this thread I suggest you try another garage - as it appears you may just need your tappets adjusted and all the oil changes in the world will not cure the prob.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

thanks for your replies. your a very helpful bunch. I asked the garage man and he said that my car is th clio 2 so it definately has hydraulic tappets. is that any help? im not sure what oil was used in the service but i know he used some cheap very stuff (even though he said it wasnt). does that help?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts