Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, greetings from New Zealand—and probably one of two non-RS Mégane III coupé owners here. I own a 10 reg I-Music 1·6 petrol (VVT 110).

I heard something snap today when tilting the passenger seat forward. The seat tilt is fine but the seat itself no longer moves forward once tilted. It still moves forward when using the bar at the front of the seat.

I’ve noticed a few Clio threads here and elsewhere which refers to a cable that one can replace, but I haven’t found an equivalent thread for the Mégane.

I managed to unclip the fabric from the bottom of the seat but can only see about four inches of the bottom of the seat. I noticed one cable had snapped but don’t know where it attaches to. I can’t find the other end of the cable, otherwise I’d have been able to figure out a bit more.

Comparing the two seats (driver’s side is functional) I can’t really make it out, so I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Odds of finding the part in New Zealand (where even the local dealer is only visible to clairvoyants) are very remote so this will likely be a DIY job using substitute methods! Thank you in advance!

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Bumper

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a bit more digging, and comparing with the driver’s seat, I see the snapped cable goes forward, probably to something that releases the seat mechanism, so it mightn’t be the cable that runs down from the tilt mechanism.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
This is how it works on similar cars, I suspect it's the same on yours.
As you tilt the seat it pulls that snapped cable taut, the other end of the cable is connected to the same mechanism that the bar at the front of the seat is connected to and has the same effect as you pulling up on the bar, it unlatches the seat so it can slide. There's a fair amount of force on that cable, A diy repair is going to be difficult, if you can get someone to weld a small thick plate to the bit that's left and thread a cable through it (no sharp edges on the hole) then a hefty crimp on the cable.
I suspect the same part is used on other 3 door variants, worth a dig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Wozz, this sounds spot on to me. The cable looks pretty thick and you’re right, it needs to withstand a lot of force. Looks like the seat needs to be removed to do this job and I’ll have a hunt for the part online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts