Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Hello - yes know the feeling about sick cars. Have a 2000-1 Scenic RXE 2.0 with a dead engine. Am waiting for mechanic to have a look at the weekend. Only had it 4 months....not happy doesn't even begin to describe it as I need to be mobile to run my businesses - trying to do that using public transport is extremely time consuming and frustrating x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Renault Espace Petrol 2L 16V on startup sounds like a diesel or a tank Dephaser problems?
Well I hope I can help people out here with some info of how to go about doing the job so here we go.

Firstly jack up car on drivers side remove drivers wheel and mud guard, support engine by cam engine end remove aux belt remembering the belt running order around all pulley positions, empty oil from engine,remove cam end rubber seals from head block,remove crank service bolt at front of engine and slowly rotate crank clockwise whilst inserting crank locking tool at TDC position.View cam shaft positions at the right hand side of the head block both cams should be at horizontal positions or there abouts when at top dead centre you must then lock these cams up using the correct locking tool I made mine using a lenght of angle iron you have to lock up cams because there is no key to lock the cam pulley sprokets to the cams themselves so dont forget to lock them remove all bolts from cam cover outer and two cam cover nuts and engine mounting on top left of engine bay please make sure you keep on eye on the cat cone cylinder of exhaust because you will have to take engine up and down to remove all cam cover bolts, remove main crank bolt and pulley and slack off cam belt tensioner remembering and marking the original position then remove cambelt and undo the 18mm bolt holding the dephaser pulley into position then remove dephaser replace dephaser and tighten main locking bolt sorry forgot torc setting but be careful as cams are hollow cams and can twist so be careful but must be tight replace cam belt (use only Renault type for correct tension position) and adjust tensioner to correct marked position, remove locking tools and insert new head cam blanks useing rubber mallet to insert, fill with new oil and oil filter then start engine without aux belt on or cover for a few mins making sure everything is out of the way it should sound like a rolls royce I know mine did then reassemble the whole lot any questions please just ask all parts should cost you no more then 300.00 pounds inc dephaser and campulley kit and cambelt did mine for this, I was quoted over 1000.00 pounds what a joke! so save yourselves some money mad john williams

1 - 5 of 5 Posts