Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please can some one help i have a magane but miss fires and cuts out everytime it gets hot then its runs ok wen it cools is this thermostat.problem and if so where is it thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
magane cuts out and miss fires when it gets hot is this the thermostat because it gets hot quick and cant see water pumping around and if so where is the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
It sounds more like a coolant temp sensor (CTS) failure. Usually quite cheap and easy to replace without draining any coolant (do it when cold).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also seems like water not going around only when you pump the water with the top water pipe that comes off the radiater then it gets hot because that what made me think it was the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
CTS, Thermostat, Water pump. I would think that is the cost order. You're right though with the thermostat. If it's not circulating, then it could be the thermostat, but it could also be the pump (more likely to leak first before not circulating the coolant mix).

Someone may jump in soon with a way to test the thermostat.

Is there any debris at all in the expansion tank?

If stalling when warm though, I would still look at the CTS first as this controls the engine ignition/mix more directly. The engine is likely to just overheat and cause damage if it were just the thermostat - from limited experience you would notice a lot of steam and a stuck motor.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'm not sure where the CTS (coolant temp sensor) is on your car. It is normally nearer the top of the engine block, either on it, or on the coolant pipe at a junction on that pipe near the block. I'm pretty sure it is a black sensor, screwed in to the right of the block, near the top.

Another thing to consider is the TDC (top dead centre) sensor. As I understand it, this is only operational once the engine reaches a certain temp, above which it control ignition. Someone jump in quick if I'm wrong please!

You can clean the TDC sensor, which is located just above the clutch bell housing. Search for this on these forums and you will come up with a few useful posts.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific. I may be wrong and it pays to do your research. (I'm not even sure it stands for top dead centre either, but logically it detects it, or something like it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts