Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of getting warm. I'm cutting holes in the Bongo tomorrow morning, I bought an holesaw at Screwfix to help me wish me luck.

Chinese diesel air heater fitted in the engine bay but need to get the heat produced into the van. Soon as I can I'll be adding a few photos. I did try with a photo showing a head gasket but that went pear shaped

RW how was it i add photos lol.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend making one hole in the drivers floorpan so you can have nice warm air blowing up your trouserleg :grin2:

Manage Attachments link in Reply :nerd:
No there's already one there it's for the Flintstones style cold start.>:)

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 1st hole drilled unfortunately where it's at means that by pushing it back to be flush puts it at an angle, to compensate I'll need Orval the circle, I made the mark where I'll need to cut using a permanent maker pen then to stop the hole rusting I sprayed over which primer. Tomorrow after everything is dry I'll be marking it up again!

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made two more holes today this time it's for the cool air supply I'm going to have to reem them out a bit though. I can't get the condit through but a can of pringles will fit through. However pringles can won't fit into the condit???

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know if you can get a 80mm step drill hole saw? Any I've seen only go to 60mm.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
yes have a search on tbay ..
only problem you could heve is if you have already drilled a hole..
then you need a piece of wood, drill through this, with the 80mm and place over where you need to drill , use this as a template .
DAMHIK...

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
You can get TWO Holesaws on the same arbor. So the 60mm is Reference & 80mm cuts.
Or am I talking a load of olesaws? :grin2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,041 Posts
Flaming 'ell Eddie
I don't think I've seen step drills up to 60mm

For those sort of larger sizes I either use a hole saw or jigsaw and accept it will not be perfectly round.

·
22,041 Posts
Yes I can see what you mean the holes 76mm I use this as a guide for a 80mm hole saw:laugh:

You got it.
If you have used a 76mm hole saw then the hole will be 76mm ID (approx)

A blank cut with same hole saw will be smaller because of the thickness of the blade but diameter can be easily built up with tape to get a snug fit in the 'ole.
Then you have a central hole the right size and in the right place to locate a larger hole saw.
The blank does not need to spin in the hole, just that the hole saw spins in the blank.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got it.
If you have used a 76mm hole saw then the hole will be 76mm ID (approx)

A blank cut with same hole saw will be smaller because of the thickness of the blade but diameter can be easily built up with tape to get a snug fit in the 'ole.
Then you have a central hole the right size and in the right place to locate a larger hole saw.
The blank does not need to spin in the hole, just that the hole saw spins in the blank.

Where my problem started is the air heater inlet is 75mm the pipes 500 _ 1000 long but try as I may I can't get all the accordion ripples out hence the need of a slightly larger hole. I don't know why I'm continuing as I don't intend on using the Chinese diesel heater I think it's more a learning curve for when I get a proper Germain heater or more probably a gas proplex heater at least all the ducts etc will be done.

·
22,041 Posts
Would need to see the system so guessing and maybe talking cr4p but is a bulkhead fitting the way to go ??

If flexy pipe is to suit a 75mm spigot, ie push over and clip, would a plain pipe of right diameter, fitted through floor and firmly fixed/sealed allow you to then fit the flexy either side ??
Don't need to get the flexy with accordion pleats through floor ??

Or a couple of these things...look likes a 74mm version available
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ducting-bulkhead-flanges

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would need to see the system so guessing and maybe talking cr4p but is a bulkhead fitting the way to go ??

If flexy pipe is to suit a 75mm spigot, ie push over and clip, would a plain pipe of right diameter, fitted through floor and firmly fixed/sealed allow you to then fit the flexy either side ??
Don't need to get the flexy with accordion pleats through floor ??

Or a couple of these things...look likes a 74mm version available
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ducting-bulkhead-flanges
Yes they would do the job I'll take a couple of photos on my other tablet the one I can add photos from I can't add off this one. But thanks they will work. It's the cool suck side the hot blown sides already up and running.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1st photo pringles fit but air tube wont due accordion type stretch abilities.

2nd photo is the hole

3rd photo is the hot air side

Last is the heaters cool air inlet where the hole from the sliding door step can be seen.

Ignore where the fuel line with pump etc are I had to take them off the bulkhead to drill through.

Attachments

·
22,041 Posts
I'm wandering if your answer may not lie within your local builder's merchants.
Small guttering downpipe is 68mm diameter.
Not much smaller then a Pringles tube which I measure at 74mm (larger at the rolled ends)
Plus standard fitting which may allow better access, a socket elbow for instance.... I have measured one I have and is 74 OD on the socket part (larger at the lipped end but that could be filed/removed)

This link shows sort of pieces that should be available...second picture
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Half-Round-Plastic-UPVC-Guttering-112mm-68mm-Downpipes-Rainwater-Fittings/332104880802?hash=item4d52fe52a2:m:mVxXypQeQMHuGIwM0PO9tJA:rk:2:pf:0

Just thinking out loud :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It'll work I'll be off to town tomorrow for the shortest length they sell and 2 X 45 degree bends I'm pleased you thought that one out loud.

·
22,041 Posts
Please to help Eddie.
In one of my earlier lives (30 plus years back) I was designing hydraulic and pneumatic circuits, part of which was getting pipes and fitting from A to B often with C in the way :grin2:

Take a measuring stick with you, pipe is standard OD, fittings may vary.

You can get push fit or glue fit...the latter needs a PVC glue and is permanent. But silicon or duct tape will work for what you are doing :grin2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts