Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“When I won the title, I beat 25 other cars”

Former world champion Nigel Mansell claims his championship success 17 years ago was more ‘credible’ than the Formula One crown of his young countryman Lewis Hamilton.

55-year-old Mansell, a winner of 31 Grand Prix, dominantly won the 1992 drivers' championship in a field including names like Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher.
:MORE @ http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090304101542.shtml

Good ol Nige :d

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
AH nothing like an ego to keep you happy in the twilight years.:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
:rofl:

'Our Nige' was a hero of mine (well,whilst he was in the car anyway....:rolleyes:),but I don't neccessarily agree with what he has said.He seems to forget that he had one of the best,if not the best ever F1 car underneath him in '92,so that helped a little.:rofl:.He undoubtedly deserved his championship as he had come close a number of times before,but you can't compare it to Lewis's win.

God bless 'Our Nige',a lion in the car,a right tw4t outside of it.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
isnt he the one that has the interchangeable eyebrows and tash?

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
ah right, wernt it a birth defect, or were it an early accident that dislogged a once proud monobrow?

lol

out of interest what car was it?

ive got an old, old, very old tyco scalextrics thats got a ferarri and a yellow car (a honda i think) sponsored by cammel

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, and iirc the sales of Renaults in the UK went up by 25% that year :eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
x=1.....times 20,that makes.....uhm.....20.

Trouble is,19 of those had 95% of the cars value spent on them in warranty claims,so Renault still lost money.:d

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
thing is, cars had alot less driver aids, less faffing by the FIA, no health and safety cornering......... nothing to say Fangio, Graham Hill, Sertees (sp) level, But was still a harder drive.

Although I image the 2009/2010 cars are epicly faster then a 1992 rothman williams renault off the line and round corners, Even with less down force.......

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As for Mansell as a driver,I think this answerS a few questions.....

It's difficult to compare drivers from different era's,but Mansell has to be there in the top 10 for entertainment value alone.:rofl:

So come on Lewis,your about as interesting as Mansell off track :)yawn:),lets have some real driving to sway my opinion of you.:d.Sorry the tracks aren't so good these days,but you can only do your best.:rofl:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts