Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here so apologies if this is covered somewhere else, I have had a look but haven't been able to find it.

I have a 98 F7R 2.0 16v coupe in which I'm hoping to do some basic motorsport. It's been massively lowered at some point in the past, far too much for what I want. I've sorted the front, but on trying to pull the torsion bars they are absolutely seized solid and the internal threads in the bars knackered. I had managed to find the Renault tool to do the bars in situ and that broke when slide-hammered, we welded stuff onto the bars to try to air-hammer out from underneath etc, all no good.

So it seems a replacement rear beam is the only way to go. These cars are pretty rare now and the only axle I've found with rear discs & ABS is listed as being for a Scenic. So does anyone know if it would be a suitable replacement, have access to Renault listed part numbers to see if they were the same part etc or know if it's been done? Alternatively the local breakers only have drum braked beams, can you remove the drum hubs & fit the disc ones, or are the beams different?

Really hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Phil, do you know by part number if that axle is unique to the Coupe? Would it the same as listed for the Scenic with discs & ABS or any other models of mk1 Megane if you have the diagrams? I see that the brace bar (#2) is listed for all mk1 Meganes including Scenic so I think from that the mounting dimensions must be the same.

I think I may just have to get one & try it, it'll be better than what I have now which is no suspension as it's been lowered way too much.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
Thanks for that Phil, do you know by part number if that axle is unique to the Coupe? Would it the same as listed for the Scenic with discs & ABS or any other models of mk1 Megane if you have the diagrams? I see that the brace bar (#2) is listed for all mk1 Meganes including Scenic so I think from that the mounting dimensions must be the same.

I think I may just have to get one & try it, it'll be better than what I have now which is no suspension as it's been lowered way too much.
from the site I used it was for the coupe.didn't look for the Scenic just the coupe with F7R 2.0 16v ..

·
23,078 Posts

·
23,078 Posts
Looks a bit of a state to me are you confident that the torsion bar will come out on that one..will it fit the car..

Not questions I can answer for you TBH..good luck if you get it..come back to let us know how you got on..(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm hoping it would just bolt on with no need to pull the torsion bars out. However assuming the beam fits I also don't know how the Scenic ride height compares to that of the Coupe so I suppose they might have to.
I will speak to the firm who recondition them, once we've sorted something out it I'll update on here. Thanks for your input (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to Renault today, took them a bit of time to find stuff out as it's all so old now but it seems the rear axles aren't 100% interchangeable, so the Scenic idea is a non-starter. In theory I could probably fit it complete with the Scenic rear hubs & brakes but they weren't sure about handbrake cables or ABS component compatibility.

The Coupe & Cabriolet 2.0 16v cars, either phase 1 F7R or phase 2 F5R IDE, are the axle as shown above so that's what I need to find. I've trawled the 'net & put some online part requests this afternoon, all to no avail though. There is one in Germany for £386 delivered to the UK; no doubt soon as I plump for that one in desperation no end of breakers will appear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts