Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 2.2 DCI broke auxiliary belt a few weeks ago. Now developed a massive oil leak. I’m guessing a bit of the old belt got stuck behind the pulley and destroyed the seal. My question is how can the engine oil be leaking as , as I understand it, the oil seal is behind the timing belt? How much of a job is it to replace the seals? Cheers

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,177 Posts
I have seen bits of broken aux get belt trapped behind the timing belt pulley. It can be compacted into a hard lump and need serious digging to get out. Haven't seen a crank seal damaged that way yet. I'd say you're very lucky that the timing belt didn't come off. In fact, it has probably taken a hit and it will have to come off anyway to get at the crank seal.
How big is the leak and are you sure it's coming from the crank?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , I’m struggling to see how it could damage the seal as it’s behind the belt? I’m wondering if it might not be the problem at all. I’m reading about a cover that blows out and that makes more sense as it’s a lot of oil that’s leaking. I’ll try to have a proper ok today👍

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,070 Posts
Take as fact that if an auxiliary belt breaks up, bits can get behind the timing covers and cause havoc.
Get the timing covers off and take a look.

·
25,070 Posts
Not good news but at least you know the problem now and the answer.
Enforced timing belt change and sort the seal while at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep☹ Belt done about 3 k ago but oil will kill it. Total PITA🤨 Like the car but just seems hassle after hassle🤷‍♂️ I have a Cayenne Turbo that runs like a watch despite being a lot more complicated machine. I will say the alternator failed a few weeks ago and the auxiliary belt the garage refitted was totally fkd....it lasted2 mil s then let go. Why they refitted it I’ll never know🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,177 Posts
That's a bummer. Lost the ship for a ha'pworth of tar. New belt should be a reflex with a new alternator. Then you have some punters moaning about the life left in the old belt. All the same they should be taking the blame for this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll be pushing for a 50/50 on it for sure. The belt was so bad I could almost pull it apart by hand. The car had a diesel leak over a long period and it had been dropping onto the belt🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out tha timing belt doesn’t go to the crank pulley on this engine and just needed the seal changed. 25quid plus I he seal👍 A good result

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Turns out tha timing belt doesn’t go to the crank pulley on this engine and just needed the seal changed. 25quid plus I he seal👍 A good result
Just me but any timing belt that doesn't go to the crank pulley is a joke :unsure:

·
25,070 Posts
Okay, I'm confused.
First off I'm glad it's sorted and at a decent price.
But what do you mean on the timing belt?
2.2DCI engine will be a G9T ???
If so, the belt is a normal drive direct from a pinion on the crank.
Or have I got the engine type wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Okay, I'm confused.
First off I'm glad it's sorted and at a decent price.
But what do you mean on the timing belt?
2.2DCI engine will be a G9T ???
If so, the belt is a normal drive direct from a pinion on the crank.
Or have I got the engine type wrong?
Indeed .............. (not) :p

Untitled.png

·
25,070 Posts
Indeed .............. (not) :p
Indeed.
I stand corrected, thanks.
So I assume that there are internal gear drives between the crank and timing pinion, similar to many pushrod valve systems where the cam would be in that sort of position?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
There is an internal balancing shaft driven and timed off/to the crank with the nose of it driving the timing belt.

This is why even Porsche owner can now do Renault timing belts too :p

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,177 Posts
New one on me. Assume one teeny thing about a Renault and you will be wrong :)
Everyday is a school day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts