Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope you're all having a good weekend, mines whizzing with how I go about an engine swap and cant find info.
Had some bad luck after purchasing a 2004 master Dci 100 and looking like belts slipped as engines jammed up and belts are good, had a shot gearbox any way and slightly clunky steering but 10 month of mot and cleanest I'd seen at bargain money, no 1st gear but was happy to replace as van very tidy and perfect for a camper conversion, or was. Was driving like new***128546;, no smoke, no heat, start on button, same night as buying she goes, tappety chain slapping noise....
Getting handier or braver should I say with mechanics did my clutch recently in my saab 95 which is a big job and all other bits n bobs but not an engine swap, was hoping to find a how to on YouTube or on forums including vauxhall movano but can't find anything at all.
Looking at the engine and its mounts etc it looks far simpler than my car and much more room, so not over phased, should I be? Just more the sequence of doing things but again hoping that's self explanatory, I have no choice as barely going to be able to buy a running donor vehicle and already stands me at £240 extra for highways removal etc, total mare, so on drive job it is.
Maybe silly question but if the donor has decent steering too can I I just pull everything out connected shafts the lot? In my head it works lol?
Next question if you don't mind, will I need to swap ecu's if same ish year and say same dci 100 lump? Would the more powerful dci engines work OK, woukd 6 speed be OK too bar shifter in cab, is that just the knob that's different as linkage does work?
Just how harder job is it, does the engine out the front make for far easier swap over ? I'm gonna buy a hoist next week, one tonne ebay job be OK I guess?.
Sorry one more, are there manuals out there that cover engine swaps etc? spoilt with saab only having a few models and info a plenty. Haynes are normally crap but I can't find anything at all. Worthwhile doing a sump swap I guess too, any mtf oil recommendations also please, eeeek here we go, best oil? Best suppliers? Best coolant? Other things I should follow whilst engines out?
Sorry to peck heads, I'll photo and put up a how to when I'm attempting so my threads will teach others hopefully...
Cheers.
PS Tried posting on vans etc but wouldn't let me said only in general so sorry if I wrong place and so many questions

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,939 Posts
If you are swapping exactly like for like and swap your existing injectors into new engine in same cylinders, ECU should be fine.
If injectors not swapped, new will need coding into ECU

Things like going from a 5 speed to 6 speed box may well need setting in ECU.
As may higher power in some format, though I cannot say how, just don't know.

Probably safe to say you will need access to decent diagnostic kit that can get into all systems that may be affected but as long as you are not putting in a lump/gearbox in that is totally different, should be okay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Dancing Dad (cool name, old raver too?) absolute music to my ears that mate. Couple of weeks till I can buy a donor and a hoist and trying to not flap at the job at hand and doing blind with no how to's etc so atleast the knowledge that after fitting there shouldn't be too many issues.
Thanks for reply ***128077;

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know where my replies gone guess being moderated, thanks again dancing dad. Going to start tackling taking the injectors out, done some reading but only thing I can't see is there a way of stopping getting air in fuel line? Tia

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,939 Posts
Please remember that I offer no guarantees, just an idea what should (should) work and what won't.
If you are looking for a donor, may well be an idea to run diagnostics on yours to see what options your ECU would accept before buying.
Will need decent diagnostic kit, Renault Can Clip will tell but as available versions are clones, we cannot help with them.

You cannot break into injector/fuel lines without getting air in.
Important bit is not to get dirt in so plug lines as you disconnect.
And don't let injectors dry out or mix them up.
Labels and ziplock bags or a clean jam jar with some clean diesel in to store injectors.
Big ziplock bags for fuel pipes to keep them clean.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking along the same lines anyway from picking up on a thread regarding injectors and ecu's, I'm hoping that if I get together OK then hoping there'll be a local garages with the correct software to marry up for not that much, loads for my defunct saab so surely loads for Renault and being in mcr too, cross that bridge when I come to it, fingers crossed I won't need it as can't see how the same dci renault map would need changing or tallying to the same lump, no software inside lump jyst metal doing what the ecu says, sensors be same etc, I'm hopefull but we'll see.
I'm wondering still about that clunky stiff steering, got back and was very little steering fluid in it, never had to deal with anything steering related barr dropping the rack when doing clutch on car, does stiff steering and a clunky feeling correspond with the power steering pump or being rack related? Is it possible to drop all off donor in one go ie hubs the lot?
Thanks again for time, you're a star..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts