Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie looking for a bit of advice and to stop pulling hair out.

I have a converted 2002 collet Renault master ambulance now running as a camper. The problem is that the rear air suspension has stopped rising at the back and the red light for air suspension is on the dash.

Checked fuse and that is ok, but stuck what to do next. I have had a look and cant see any obvious issues with the cabling.

Previously you would always hear the pump come on when turning the ignition on, but now nothing, so don't believe it is a pump leaking more like and electrical fault or switch.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and is there a relay somewhere I should be checking?

Lastly if I can find a problem, how easy is it to convert back to leaf springs only.
Martin

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,227 Posts
Previously you would always hear the pump come on when turning the ignition on, but now nothing, so don't believe it is a pump leaking more like and electrical fault or switch.
Does your van sit around unused in storage for long periods? Just wondering if it could be suffering from rodent nibbles underneath the van?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for response, but I try to use every couple of weeks for fishing. Also my cat likes to sit under it during the day and guard it.

I have seen loads of people asking the same questions for the Renault master and even putting the old leaf springs back, but nobody comes back with any fixes or recommendations.

Martin

·
9,227 Posts
I have seen loads of people asking the same questions for the Renault master and even putting the old leaf springs back, but nobody comes back with any fixes or recommendations.
Most of those threads/post are 'old' so its unlikely those members are still in touch to give a response, and as there are few Master owners you are 'out on a limb'. But the forum will try and help you if we can.

Have you any kind of manual for you van? You may have to look around the chassis and axle yourself to check if the mounting brackets for springs are still in place and havn't been cut or ground off to fit the air suspension.

Where are you contemplating getting the leaf springs from? New/second-hand? Would you do this work yourself? Again if you can find a van in a breakers yard to look at you could make a comparison with yours.

It'll help you if you take several photos of the underside of your van if you go out on a search so you have something visual you can immediately double check with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try and get some out later today or tomorrow and post them.

Had a quick look earlier and cant see any obvious wire breaks, earth connection looks rusty and I will clean it up first. Still cant find relay anywhere unless its build in to unit?

Does anytbody know if it is possible to check the pump first manually from a battery. There are 3 connections, black for earth and 2 others (green and red), assuming one is for intake and the other is reverse for letting down suspension. Can anybody confirm please?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,078 Posts
Check fuse 27 in the fuse box, this is for the computer for air compressor, check you have power to the fuse..
Should be 3 columns of fuses, third column third column, as you look at it, you should have 3 from the bottom, then a blank the next one up, fifth row,
Check also you have power at one of the pins going to the compressor,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the response,

I think I have a slightly older version, The fuses under the steering wheel have 4 columns and I have checked the suspension fuse and that is ok. I looked at the pump yesterday and there are 3 wires going to it which I will check later today, 2 large wires and a thin one. one of the large wires look to be connected to the body earth, so will check later with the other large wire for 12 volts with ignition on.

Do you know if I can check the pump by applying 12 volts direct to the main 2 connections mentioned above and see if it turns on? this would rule out the pump also?
martin

·
38,078 Posts
Found the correct diagram,,,, BUT, Which one is yours

H70X70 CAB DOUBLE CHASSIS
U70X70 CAB CHASSIS
F70X70 VAN
J70X70 9-SEATER COMBI/MINIBUS
S9W702
F9Q772
G9T722
G9U720
S9W700
F9Q770
16-SEATER BUS
WITHOUT TACHOGRAPH
PNEUMATIC SUSPENSION
CAB FLOOR
WITH TACHOGRAPH

what would it have been made for, if not converted to an ambulance,,,

·
38,078 Posts
Dont Renault make it easy....:grin2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for help,

It was originally an ambulance with a built in ramp for pushing stretchers up, which looks like a slice of cheese that folds out. I am pretty sue the engine is referenced with G9T, but unsure if this links up in anyway. Also the manual says I have the pneumatic suspension button on the dash, so probably that one.

Regards, Martin.

Hoping to take picture, but very wet round here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Further update on my progress, and a few more questions?

Checked 30 amp fuse to relay and power is available, relay works fine and relay to pump is connected fine, but the relay wire connections for it to switch to turn on doesn't switch the relay connection on, therefore explains why no power to pump, but unfortunately those wires come from the black box above the pump. so now run out of ideas to try and fix this unless I replace the whole system.

Also found during my checks that the 3 cables going into the pump itself mentioned earlier, as expected the pump works with 12 volts put on it on the large white power cable, but the small live cable also provides 9 volts when ignition is on. but unsure what this is for?

for the same price I think I can replace the leaf springs, but unsure if anything else needs to be replaced.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have attached from previous requests a picture of suspension, so if not very clear. also there is another picture of another component, which I am unsure what it is and what it is for?
Martin

Attachments

·
38,078 Posts
Sorry takes awhile to sink in, are you saying the relay is not switching, its got the main feed, but the feed to switch it is not there, have you bypassed the switch,
The black box, can you see the wires, ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for confusion, but the relay works fine when I tested it on a work bench and there is electric going to the main connection on the relay from the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box.
The problem is that there is no power going to the electric switch connection (point 86 on the relay). If I follow that cable it goes to a multi plug above the unit with about 20 other small cables. There the main power will not swing over to active at the pump.

I have attached power manually to the pump also and it works fine with the 12 volts, when i tested the second cable when the car was running it shows 8 volts when the engine is on also goes to the multi plug mentioned above. The 3rd cable going into the pump is earth, which I tested and is also good.

I have attached a picture below which shows the main multi plug at the top and the 3 wire pump connection in the middle. hope this helps?

Martin

Attachments

·
38,078 Posts
Air suspension ecu ,, Couple of more pictures if possible, of the fuse boxes.
Think I have the right diagram up out of the choices I offered you, but want to double check, as these are the old style diagrams, and are to say the least, bloody confusing...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although still investigating the cpu, I am looking at replacing suspension airbags with original leaf springs.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me, but I have the offer of 3 leaf springs for the back unsure which one would be best, if I am removing the suspension air springs. I understand what they do but unsure which one to buy if I replace them if somebody can advise?

2nd hand Fiberglass, a new 1 leaf spring or a 2 leaf spring. Unsure about fiberglass being strong enough, since this is a long wheel base, high top and will be used as a campervan and if a 1 leaf spring would be good enough.

I guess it would be the equivalent of a minibus, but unable to find any details.

Martin

·
9,227 Posts
Can you post up a picture of the whole van so we can see what it is exactly. What is the plated maximum gross vehicle weight and alle weights?

My Trafic is single leaf and MGVW around 3400kg from memory.

·
9,227 Posts
Have a look at this link (not sure if its been recommended to you before) ...... I've taken a wild guess and found a page that may be of help ... but you can drill down through the menus and find info closer to your exact model ....you can select diagrams for normal leaf springs and pneumatic suspension too. Its on the forum guide tool so its ok to recommend this to you.

Master II, UD4M, Manual, 33 Rear bearing elements / Rear axle - Catcar.info

1 - 20 of 32 Posts