Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Success, I have now replaced the airbags springs with the standard fiberglass leaf springs and looking good. only issue is that the fiberglass springs slightly wider so needed slight change made.

There are still 2 bits that I need to do to completely finish:-

The ubolts are slightly smaller than what I would like and need to be a bit longer, probably 25cm long in total and not 110, anybody recommend a supplier?

Need to remove the warning lights somehow on the dash board if possible, not a big issue as air suspension not there now.

Thanks everybody for advise so far.:smile2:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,078 Posts
Can you take the fuse out for it,,, Apart from that it will be a resistor put into the wiring, just to fool the system,, Unless you can take the bulbs out,,

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,227 Posts
The ubolts are slightly smaller than what I would like and need to be a bit longer, probably 25cm long in total and not 110, anybody recommend a supplier?
Well Done on your conversion MM :smile2: Havn't a clue on the U-bolts but is there a friendly van/lorry garage you could drop in at. They might have a better idea for these larger fixings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just to keep the post updated and in case somebody wants to know if it work later on when doing there's:-
Removed fuse and relay for suspension warning lights on dash and no more alarms for air suspension.
Reused rear fiberglass springs (from scrap yard) work fine for the past week with no problems. Just remember going from metal to fiberglass springs they are slightly wider and need adjusting n(filing down the bracket a few mm.
Purchased springs from ebay.

Now all that left is to remove the old bits of the air suspension from under the car in the near future.

Thanks for help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi from one newbie to another,
Does your van have the connector under the bonnet to blow up the suspension with a compressor? Our does and the suspension stays up for several days before having to be pumped again. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry for the late reply, but no top up valve. I did see them on ebay for a diy kit, but decided to just replace the springs as seemed to remove the whole thing in one go.
Just passed MOT so remove all the air suspension parts and wiring looms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
no mine just had the tanks underneath with the pump. Since removing the air suspension the van has run perfectly fine and i dont really miss the soft bounce.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to keep the post updated and in case somebody wants to know if it work later on when doing there's:-
Removed fuse and relay for suspension warning lights on dash and no more alarms for air suspension.
H, I've just done the same process of swapping air suspension for springs on a 2009 movano ambulance. How did you manage to track down the relay and fuse to stop the warning light on the dash?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I will try and get some out later today or tomorrow and post them.

Had a quick look earlier and cant see any obvious wire breaks, earth connection looks rusty and I will clean it up first. Still cant find relay anywhere unless its build in to unit?

Does anytbody know if it is possible to check the pump first manually from a battery. There are 3 connections, black for earth and 2 others (green and red), assuming one is for intake and the other is reverse for letting down suspension. Can anybody confirm please?
You seem to have the same system as mine, mine isn't working either I put wires from the battery to black and green and the compressor runs great

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the response,

I think I have a slightly older version, The fuses under the steering wheel have 4 columns and I have checked the suspension fuse and that is ok. I looked at the pump yesterday and there are 3 wires going to it which I will check later today, 2 large wires and a thin one. one of the large wires look to be connected to the body earth, so will check later with the other large wire for 12 volts with ignition on.

Do you know if I can check the pump by applying 12 volts direct to the main 2 connections mentioned above and see if it turns on? this would rule out the pump also?
martin
Most of those threads/post are 'old' so its unlikely those members are still in touch to give a response, and as there are few Master owners you are 'out on a limb'. But the forum will try and help you if we can.

Have you any kind of manual for you van? You may have to look around the chassis and axle yourself to check if the mounting brackets for springs are still in place and havn't been cut or ground off to fit the air suspension.

Where are you contemplating getting the leaf springs from? New/second-hand? Would you do this work yourself? Again if you can find a van in a breakers yard to look at you could make a comparison with yours.

It'll help you if you take several photos of the underside of your van if you go out on a search so you have something visual you can immediately double check with.
I will try and get some more tomorrow, but below are the ones already taken of fuse boxes, inside and out. hope it helps.
did you manage to get your air suspension fixed ?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts