Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just renewed the belt using the timing pins and the three marks on the belt to match the three marks on the sprockets.I turned the crank two revolutions so I can reset tensioner I was hoping that the three marks on the belt will come and match the marks on the sprockets but it seems it's not the case.Spent half a day turning and turning hoping it will.any help will do cause now am thinking marks are for initial set up there after they are all over the show

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My reasoning is if the crank was nearer the cam you will use belt with less teeth or if it was further you will use more teeth but you will still have one cam shaft revolution for two crank revolutions regardless which will make re-matching the marks impossible.i am not a motor mechanic but very mechanical minded hence this has been my hobby and pass time

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking if the number of teeth on the belt was an exact multiple of the number of teeth on the crankshaft sprocket then the belt would come back to the same position every so many revolutions. eg if the sprocket had 50 teeth and the belt 250 the belt would be in the same position on the sprockets every 10 revolutions of the crankshaft (remembering that the camshaft turns once for every two revs of the crankshaft). The manufacturer would not design it that way to ensure that a belt tooth did not always engage the same sprocket tooth. Hence I would expect the belt teeth not to be an exact multiple of the sprocket teeth and the belt would only return to the exact same position every few hundred revolutions.

·
Super Moderator
10,933 Posts
Most belts & Gears Employ the "Hunting Tooth" Method to minimise wear at the same point in the train.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,502 Posts
With timing pin back in, do the cams line up where they should ?
Forgetting belt marks, crank and cam relationship should be correct after each two turns.
If you are unsure, best start again, far better then turning the key and (possibly) fecking the engine.

I can't remember but has that engine got cam locking or setting slots at the back end (gearbox end) ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciated guys did exactly that cam lock pin at TDC after every 2 crank turns.Did it 4 times just to make sure and behold one kick running as good as ever.Danci the cam has timing pin and at back of engine pin to set crank to TDC you just go wrong on that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After doing all this my climate control motor is now not working I can't relate the two.the control display I.e fan speed looks good but I can't hear it turn.and where is the fuse box it will be a good place to start.the fan must be behind the glove box RIGHT??

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,318 Posts
Think you have to rotate the engine 7 times to get the marks on most belts to line up again with the timing marks.
Have you tried tapping the fan motor case as it may have seized?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wyn Hie
I have been checking the blower motor took out the fuse box the 40amp is good and the voltage is going into thge resistor box.the motor is turning freely not seized at all.when the cables are pluged into the resistor box i was hoping to measure voltage on the outcoming resistors but thats near IMPOSSIBLE given where the unit is located.How do i remove this resistor box so i can measure it externally and be able to false feed the motor that way i will narrow down if its the box,motor or the aircon control module.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
am failing to remove the resistor module anyone knows how to take out the motor to me looks like you have to lift off the dash.i have checked all fuses are ok and there is voltage going into the clmate control module which disappears if you take out the 40amp fan fuse from there nopt clear where it goes.any help will be appreciated

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,318 Posts
On the Megane/Scenic 1 it was easy to take the dashboard cover off to get to the resistor pack. The fault was the thermal fuse on the pack blowing which could be replaced with one from the sadly defunct Maplins, maybe they are on ebay. Not a good idea short out the fuse as we have seen what happens to Zafiras.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
am failing to remove the resistor module anyone knows how to take out the motor to me looks like you have to lift off the dash.i have checked all fuses are ok and there is voltage going into the clmate control module which disappears if you take out the 40amp fan fuse from there nopt clear where it goes.any help will be appreciated
Is it possible you can start a new post on this issue..
Most will see Timing belt, and skip the threads.

As must be someone who has done this, but you are limiting yourself, to how many will read it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ours2012 you are right will start a new thread if you can follow me on that as I managed to take the module out

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Can you see down the right hand of your screen, Could have General Chat
Or something like Engines or Electrics.
These are all Tabs, click whatever part of the forum you feel is relevant to your question
Electrics I would think, ..
Once clicked it will take you to that section, now click on New THREAD sorry , not new post..
Fill in the details and submit .
It takes a while to get around, if unsure ASK..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts