Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just got this car as a runaround its a r reg was wondering bowt servcieing and belts also any known engine probs/faults to look 4 and aslo what mot points to look out for thanks alot
this is my second post as im used to vauxhalls

also whats peoples mpg thanks alot

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The cambelt is due every 70,000 miles or 5 years.

The common faults are coil pack failures and split MAP sensor hoses which both cause poor running and misfires.

Noisy wheel bearings and driveshafts are not uncommon.

Have you got a specific problem with yours?.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Noisy Driveshafts

Hi Rockyrobin - did you change both shafts (was it new or second hand) - or just one - murphy's Law - says it could be the other one - sometimes its hard to tell which - you could go to a big empty carpark - get your mate to stand in the centre (if he's brave enough) and you drive in circles round him/her -first clockwise and the anti-clockwise. He may be able to detect which side the noise is coming from. In my experience is not worth risking a second hand shaft as there is no way of knowing it is any good until it has been fitted and very few breakers will give you a refund. Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Knocking noise

Hi rockie robin - is it worse when you turn left or right. Was it a brand new shaft or a refurbished one. What age is the car and how many miles are on the clock. Did you fit it yourself. Could be time you sought professional help as it will probably fail MOT when its due. Let me know what happens. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the shaft was new and i fitted correctlt myself the noise sounds like a clunky sound when u turn left also when u drive along its ok but theres another sound like its ideling in gear when u drive!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Driveshaft

Have you checked the suspension - a front broken spring can give out a clunky sound - if your gearbox sounds noisy it could be the oil level is low - did any oil spill out when you changed the shaft and have you checked the level in the gearbox - other wise it could be a serious gearbox prob.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There is a plastic wing nut headed bolt in the front of the box.Remove this and pump in the oil until it drips out of the hole.Make sure the car is parked on level ground when you do this,and the correct oil is 75w80.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
what i found meganes are bad for

immobiliser keys packing in
cv boot retaining clips bursting
rear wheel bearings
+points
Timing belts are easy to change parts are cheap and had my megane for 6years with no real probs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts