Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new here and damn, a lot of info around :D .

I've been reading a lot, but I didn't find my specific case...

So, my Renault 1.5 dci dynamique is from 2013, so it should be the series 2009-2013.
Currently it has 7 years of life, so reading in this forum, it has to be changed after 5-6 years or 55-70k miles, whichever comes first. I've mentioned ranges because I've seen different values in the forum, difficult for me to understand why...

The point is, aprox 1 year ago I bought this car certified at the maximum level of inspection from a very famous company in UK, I'm wondering why I don't see the belt changed somewhere in the notes of the manual/history_notes or in the MOT website, if is supposed to be there, should I ask a mechanic to verify?
So I guess that they didn't replace the belt and therefore the car hasn't been checked properly, they couldn't leave this to me as this maintenance is mandatory.

So, my questions are:
1) My car has now 62k miles, very low mileage but apparently I need to replace it, right?

2) I would put this on them, calling and explaining that they have sold a car not fully revised and I want them to pay the job.
At this point, I may want also my money back as the car is in warranty 1 year with them, even if this discussion is not about warranty, but possible negligence from them.
If they didn't check this, I wonder how the rest has been checked... The car runs well, even if I don't like the clutch or gearbox in someone, between the 1st and 2nd gear it's like that the clutch slow down the car, this mostly when is cold.

3) Here another problem,what about my insurance for the rest of the year, for the simple reason that it's my first insurance and costed me hell... (in case I want my money back from the car, therefore also the insurance)

4) I know that I need to change also the water pump, this also wasn't changed, I don't see it anywhere... Should I add this and also other items to the list in case I ask them to fix all this garbage?

An immense thanks for who will help!!!!!!! Also a dinner paid if you are around Buckinghamshire :D .

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
You have no conceivable claim against the dealer- they've concealed nothing, and it was your choice to buy a car with the original timing belt. Besides you've had it a year. I don't think it would be inspected- in any case you can't tell much about the integrity of a timing belt by looking at it.
Changing a timing belt is not "mandatory"- no service item is, unless it's to pass an MoT. The timing belt is not a test item. You won't find it on the MoT site.
You would change the water pump at the same time.
Whether you do it is up to you. I changed ours after 45k and just under 10 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have no conceivable claim against the dealer- they've concealed nothing, and it was your choice to buy a car with the original timing belt. Besides you've had it a year. I don't think it would be inspected- in any case you can't tell much about the integrity of a timing belt by looking at it.
Changing a timing belt is not "mandatory"- no service item is, unless it's to pass an MoT. The timing belt is not a test item. You won't find it on the MoT site.
You would change the water pump at the same time.
Whether you do it is up to you. I changed ours after 45k and just under 10 years.
Thanks for the answer, well, I was expecting some more serious checks by the company that certifies the cars... The most important component is not checked, so certified cars are always a big risk as any other car, thanks for the confirmation.

Why did you change it after 10 years? Your choice for low mileage?
Honestly online I've seen also a recommendation at 100k mileage, not really sure which is the correct value for my specific model... Should I just go to a Renault official and get everything sorted?

(I have this car since 6 months)

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Why did you change it after 10 years? Your choice for low mileage?
Recommendations on this forum, a compromise between time and mileage, and knowing how much work is involved after a break- I had one 25 years ago. Since we do half our mileage abroad, the consequences would be even more expensive and inconvenient. Also, it was a job I'd done before.
100k seems very high for a belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any official Renault source where I can see? I see mostly forums and different values :D .
By myself, I understood is time to change it, it's 62k mileage and 7 years of usage... Also, I do often short travels 4+4 miles, not sure if that is even worst

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Not official, no.
This dealer says 60k/5 years
but Haynes suggest only 36k for the Laguna. Take your pick I did it myself so the cost was much less, but I had the time and the knowledge. And the help of the forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1050 pounds proposed for belt, all accessories (I suppose also tensioner etc), + water pump.

Auch!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,350 Posts
BIT steep,,,,,,,,,,,, are you sure £1050,,,,, was the correct price
So charging over £700 for labour, on possibly a 6 hour job max
Closer to 4 hours really
That from the main agents OR?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Official dealer. Also in my country the price is almost the same, it looks like the official dealer set that price everywhere for mid range cars...
Probably also a check up is included...

Just because I was planning to go to an official dealer, how about other big maintenances? Just to look into my wallet...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I come from Italy, but official dealers seem to charge the same price everywhere, it's also about responsability and image. For example, if a 3rd party mechanic screw up your car, don't worry, you can trash it and never see the money back. 1050 are always high, honestly every dealer charge always 3 times more than a 3rd party mechanic for important maintenance...

·
39,350 Posts
thats not important maintenance,,, brakes and steering THEM are important
its just a poxy cam belt and only needs someone using common sense to do it
Thats more than double what it should cost even for a top tech on £25 a hour
It would be cheaper for you to come to England driving the car, call into our Renault main agents and get it changed and spend a week enjoying the sites with the money you would have saved

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is important :D .
I've meant that it's not an easy task, it's a major work on the car in terms of replacement.
I'm not aware about the steering, what should I change/check?
I took it for "steering wheel", is this what you mean?

·
39,350 Posts
No steering = wheels,, tyres ( One of the most neglected part on a car ) suspension and all parts relating to steering

Brakes, can have the greatest fastest car in the world, no good if it wont stop
Can belts yep monkey work, brakes and steering, garages let anyone working for them repair but very few allow the mechanics to change a cam belt,,, go figure

whats the easiest? but most damaging if goes wrong!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I said, it seems easy but a small mistake and the engine blows up, that's why I consider only the official dealer, and I hope official means quality :D .
Thanks guys, I go to prepare the bucks

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
A competent independent mechanic should be able to change a timing belt. 1050€ is far too expensive.
Ours means that a timing belt is not safety-critical. If it fails you are unlikely to have an accident.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the website actually it costs 630... Nice scam on the phone :D .
Local dealers, apparently competent, quote between 250 and 350.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Local dealers, apparently competent, quote between 250 and 350.
Much more reasonable- that would be cheap here, especially if it's €. Even 630€ isn't outrageous.
Perhaps you can get a recommendation from a friend, or reviews.
I did mine myself, parts and tools were about £150-200, garage price would have been about £500 I think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably I didn't write correctly, 630 official dealer, 250-350 3rd parties with good feedbacks, but obviously I didn't see any feedback for cam belt...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts