Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought this vehicle. It runs well, idles around 500rpm according to the tacho, and is slightly 'lumpy'. Difficult to tell but seems to run pretty much ok apart from that. I want to get the plugs out and check them, maybe swap to iridium anyway, but also understand there's a sensor in the exhaust that can affect it - is it easy to find? If I can find it I'll see if I can give it a clean. I'll be towing a mini-caravan over easter and want to be sure it's as ok as I can make it before tackling any big dorset/devon hills.

Also, can anyone recommend an equivalent model haynes manual for mechanical stuff?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi jjccqq - welcome to the forum.

The idle speed is a tad low - it should be around the 750 rpm mark.

Erratic idling can be due to a number of reasons so I suggest you check the ignition system first and then check for over-fueling.

Forget about using iriduim spark plugs - Renaults are fussy so stick to the original specification.

Is the dash showing any warning lights?:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply. I realised after posting that actually I misread the tacho, it is at 750rpm. The previous owner said he had it serviced by an independent, and therefore the SERV light was still on. That light comes on intermittently, but no others. All I have done so far is to get the cambelt, waterpump etc changed.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The SERV light is linked to either the airbag,ABS or engine management system,it is not a service indicator but a light that indicates a fault in one of the systems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I guess the best thing might be to find someone who can do a fault test/diagnostics check?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Have arranged for a mechanic to do the diagnostic (£25), at least will have a good idea what's going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic found the lambda sensor was faulty and replaced it - pricey, inc labour/daignostic £160, so bit of a rip off. Better, but now SERV light still coming on after short journey and restart - Oil level sensor previously showing occasional 'low oil' still same. Could be part of same problem maybe? Getting a little fed up now, could have guessed lambda sensor fault myself and saved £70.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine idle better now sensor replaced, but still the SERV light comes on at times, usually after a short
journey and restart, with apparently rough idle. At the same time, the oil level warning comes on (though oil level is fine).

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the oil level sensor is? If easy enough, the obvious thing is to remove it and try cleaning and its contacts, then replace if no change.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
According to car handbook, 'Serv' light should only come on along with ABS / airbag / front pad wear warning or low washer fluid.
Doesn't mention it coming on with oil level warning probably because of separate oil level warning under speedo.
Can't see why it would affect idle though but you may have some wierd electrical problem.

Haynes says sensor is on front of engine under oil filter but theres nothing there on mine so it may be on rear of engine somewhere.
It should also have dots above where it says 'oil ok' but mine doesn't so who knows.

Haynes book 3916 covers Megane and Scenic 99-02. Doesn't cover convertibles and a few other variants but the mechanics should be the same.
Be warned though, it's a bit vague on some things.:confused:
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts