Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought a Megane 1.6 Rt Auto (P Reg) & she seems to have a bit of a problem when changing gears.

I'm having to really put my foot down to get her to change up & she seems to struggle working her way up. Don't get me wrong, once she gets there she changes gear lovely & smooth, but she really does feel like a slug in slippers.

She selects all gears with no problems & I have to really bury the peddle to get her to kickdown.

Is my gearbox about to die?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi god you want to hope not!! these gear box's are very complex pieces of kit to be on the safe side i would get a diagnostic test done to see whats comes back and explain what is happening to them as well before you get this done they can cost from around £50-£70 at most Renault dealers i think it will be the better thing to do as they can be very costly to repair or replace it may be that its low on oil does there look to be any leaks from under and around the box i wish i could more all the best Donald

·
Registered
8 Posts
Megane gear box

Hi,

I have just bought a Megane 1.6 Rt Auto (P Reg) & she seems to have a bit of a problem when changing gears.

I'm having to really put my foot down to get her to change up & she seems to struggle working her way up. Don't get me wrong, once she gets there she changes gear lovely & smooth, but she really does feel like a slug in slippers.

She selects all gears with no problems & I have to really bury the peddle to get her to kickdown.

Is my gearbox about to die?
I have a Megane 1.6 auto 1997 + the gear box has just gone as I was driving home. Its just been taken to garage who say its surprising for a 91/2 yr old car with only 45,000 miles (real- it's been in family all its life). Now I'm just waiting to find out how much a replacement will be!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeh- I've been told that if it is the gearbox, it'll be 850 + labour. The garage isn't Renault + seems a bit lost. They haven't touched it yet + say they'll try topping up the gear oil first.
I've read some of you mention oil in gears but as nonmechanical, I haven't a clue if this is something that is usually lost. Don't remember seeing it on my annual service list.
Is it the normal engine oil??? If it is, then the same garage will have changed that at the last service in November.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I have posted on your other threads on this but auto boxes use a specific oil (ATF or auto transmission fluid). Early Renault auto boxes have had a few problems and can be costly. You say yours feels like it's slipping if so it may be the forward clutch failing (yes autos have clutches). If the ATF gets hot it can loose viscosity causing slippage as well. I'm not sure if the meg has an ATF dipstick, my clio has an orange capped one at the front / left of the engine but not all clios do so have a look it will be pretty obvious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts