Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna build up a list ofMegane 1 faults so that anyone lookiong to buy one or in fact owns one needs to know what tends to go wrong.

so far the only major thing is the Recirculation flap in the dash

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about blown head gaskets quite common the 1.6 engines (not sure about the others).

The idle position sensor a very expensive problem as you need to replace throttle body assembly, mine was done under warranty otherwise it is between 300 and 400 pounds( so I was told) What happens is you drive around the car starts to die, splutter, back fire then runs beatufilly again for a little while longer. It became quite dangerous eventually as when trying to accelerate quickly the car would lose all power.

The sensor for the remote tends to play up if it gets wet ie leaky aerial, then you cannot get your car to run as you cannot disarm immoblizer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Megane 1.6Rt sport problems to date

I purchase the car as a 2 year old with16,000 miles in 2000. It now has 128,000 and I have just replaced the cyclinder head gasket and cam belt for the first time (K7M engine). The head gasket had started to loose water, but the belt was fine.

Problem to date have been few for the 100,000 mileage, but below is a list, all of which have been fixed:

Front wheel bearings replaced(rumbling noise with speed)

Drive shafts replaced(outer gaitor securing clips snapped)

Rear indicators and brakes flashing lighting incorrectly
(pins bent on rear light cluster connector)

Door handles stop working (lots of lubrication spray)
Rear door did not close at all (stripped down door lock and lubricated again)
Rear outside door handle not operating (plastic pin snapped, but mainly my fault on reassemble -see above)

Handbrake siezes on ( Lubricate hand brage arm and pivoy inside rear brake drums)

Lower front ball joint play (replaced)

Engine misfire and lack of power.(Traced to earthing fault on left hand side of engine near dip stick, not ECU)

Broken side indicator and dented front wing (hit deer early in the morning, Panel sprung out new indicator lens from Renault)

Facia light failing by radio, mileometer( Remove dash and replace bulbs, about 30 mins max)

Hole in petrol filter (replaced)

Tyres, exhaust, oil, filters, spark plugs, brake pads/disks/shoes and wiper blades.
(not found a solution to these other than not driving the car!)

Imobiliser is a pain in the ¤¤¤¤. 20 seconds and you have to unlock and relock the car - Any know how to disable it?

Daniel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crankshaft sensor on mine went, meant it wouldn't start because no spark a few times, i took it out and replaced it but under further inspection a good clean would probably suffice, as there is a build up of oil and road grime on the connection.

Water pump went once, which caused it to overheat, warranty job so no idea of cost.

Heatshield on the catalytic converter came loose which caused an irritating rattle, which was fixed with a few spot welds.

Car booked in this wednesday to solve a loud throbbing vibration at the front of the car, possibly a wheel bearing. We shall see!

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Rear indicators and brakes flashing lighting incorrectly
(pins bent on rear light cluster connector)

Imobiliser is a pain in the ¤¤¤¤. 20 seconds and you have to unlock and relock the car - Any know how to disable it?

Daniel
Hi Dan

Did you solve the back lights? - Our megane is exactly the same - the indicator flashes, and the back red light dims! As the indicator goes out the red comes back up!

The pins in our plugs are loose. Can the plugs be replaced? - Are they standard?

Dunno about the immobiliser - I'd suggest your unlucky as ours gives 30 seconds. First thing I do when I unlock it is stick the key in the ignition and make contact.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Hi all.

Delta, we meet again, lol!

Strangely enough I had similat rear light problems on my car. The multi pin connector blocks that connect the wiring loom to the lamp cluster boards weaken over the years, and the pins don't make a strong enough contact with the lamp clusters.

Judicious use of a thin flat bladed screw driver to gently bend back the pins in the connector works a treat to ensure a tighter contact. I would also recommend a light emery paper to clean up the contacts on both the lamp cluster connector and loom block connector contacts. I also added a light squirt of WD40, if it helps I don't know, just did it for good measure!

Hope this helps

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Howdi bob!

Yeah thanks for the tip - I'll give that a go tomorrow. Until recently I'd just settled for pulling the plug partly out - for some reason that seemed to fix it for about 2 weeks then it would require a bash from my hand for the next 2 weeks - then the cycle would restart..

I've just replied to your other reply in the HG topic! - I'm having trouble keeping up and following you all over this forum lol!

I can be a bit clumsy though sometimes and I suspect I might end up breaking a pin in one of the connectors - Can these be obtained/fitted easily if I do destroy one?

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Hi again delta.

Happy New Year! Stayed in this year since the better half is expecting soon and doesn't need the "hassle"... So I'm spending my time half drunk and half on the interweb!

I'm sure the connectors can be sourced from Renault, but, if you are really really careful with a little screwdriver and apply really small amounts of pressure behind the pins, then all should be OK. It worked a treat for me! I got this tip from these very forums. You can be a little more aggressive with the emery cloth/paper, you would have to be going some to do damage. Although saying that you shouldn't be careless - wearing away the contacts would be a D'oh! situation I think!

Bob

·
Banned
910 Posts
wd40 always good

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Hi bob!

Thanks for the further advice - I'll have a bash in a min after bath time!

Yeah we stayed in too - The mrs was working early today so we stayed in too :( Oh well... at least I'm not hung over and unable to tinker with the megane :d

·
Banned
910 Posts
me too we stayed in had a few drinks but all was good

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Heh we didn't even have drinks :( (Mind u, I wouldn't drink anyway being in my 1st year of driving - I value my licence too much!)

Infact the most excitement we had was the neighbours setting off some fireworks!

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Well I tried the screwdriver with the lights plugs but it doesn't seem to of made any difference.

I will post pics in the other thread about the scenic head gasket.. or maybe start a new thread..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Delta,

Like the other on this list I just bent the pins on the lamp unit a little to give a better contact, I think the main offender is the earth pin. It might be scorched or pitted. Using a fine screwdriver you might be able to remove the contact from the holder by pushing in the locating tab on the contact. Once it is out you can tighten it up with some plyers, bend out the locating tab. then push it back into the holder. Good luck
Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'e had my Megane for 4 1/2 years in which time I have had to seal and dry up the overhead switches from a leak at the ariel. The rear washer housing also leaked and wet the rear seat.

I had to replace one of the plip keys as it would not hold the code for more than a couple of weeks.

Intermittant cold starting problem was cured by replacing the lambda sensor.

The tailgate hinge pins seized and eventually the pair of them snapped (in B&Q carpark) The use of gravity and very slow driving got me home. I drilled out the pins and made a temporary repair with a couple of nails. It is still working after 2 years so I might just leave it as is.

I have had to replace all the front wheel bearings. My mechanic told me that Renault use a softer metal in their OEM bearings.

Both driveshafts have been replaced due to worn CV joints. (CV joints not available seperately)

Both front suspension coil springs snapped and have been replaced.

First bit of welding this year when a hole appeared on the rear of the O/S outer sill.

Just cured a water leak into the O/S footwell by cleaning the sunroof front drains.

All these faults are mostly due to poor design and materials on the part of Renault. In saying that, the car is comfy, practical and economical so I will just put the faults down to "the joys of motoring"

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Hi all.

Delta, we meet again, lol!

Strangely enough I had similat rear light problems on my car. The multi pin connector blocks that connect the wiring loom to the lamp cluster boards weaken over the years, and the pins don't make a strong enough contact with the lamp clusters.

Judicious use of a thin flat bladed screw driver to gently bend back the pins in the connector works a treat to ensure a tighter contact. I would also recommend a light emery paper to clean up the contacts on both the lamp cluster connector and loom block connector contacts. I also added a light squirt of WD40, if it helps I don't know, just did it for good measure!

Hope this helps

Bob
I have got this problem too. I have looked at them and wondered why they are doing this cos they look fine. I am now going to try this too, little bu****s, ha.

Just cured a water leak into the O/S footwell by cleaning the sunroof front drains.
Where are these exactly? I get water collecting every now and again in the rear drivers footwell too.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts