Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering system on the Megane has now decided to spring a leak - though whether it's the rack or the pipes connecting to it I can't tell.

Even by Megane standards, access to the pipe connections on the rack is almost impossible, and removing the rack will involve juggling the front subframe.

Not so pressing is a slightly squealy clutch release bearing - and although not strictly necessary, subframe juggling can improve access.

So the question is: should I do both jobs at the same time, if the subframe is common to both?

And - more importantly - can this be done on my own? I have a good assortment of tools/jacks/railway sleepers etc, and access to another car (so it doesn't matter how long it takes, within reason). My other half is pretty useless when it comes to such matters (sorry, love!), and changing spouse would be infinitely more costly than getting a garage to do the work :d

I really need to DIY the jobs, as they're both pretty labour-intensive - even for a garage. This would make it touch and go whether just to get rid and move on....

So - some words of encouragement, please....:eek:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I would give it a go.

However, I would consider going in to tackle the clutch bearing, and investigate the leak from the power steering whilst I was there (rather than the other way around as you've mentioned).

Might sound like splitting hairs, but you know where the problem is with one of the issues, and it'll give you a psychological boost to 'fix' one issue before tackling another - rather than just feeling that you are pulling the car to bits (and hoping it all goes back together :d)...

I would believe that if its all properly supported, then there is no reason why 1 person can't do the job (the OH can surely work a trolley jack if need be?).

There you go - encouragement as requested!

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(the OH can surely work a trolley jack if need be?).

There you go - encouragement as requested!

HTH

Paul

Thanks Paul - that's cheered me up no end!

Maybe if I promised a shopping expedition, some help could be forthcoming :d

The leaking PAS system is actually more of a pressing need, as it would certainly fail an MoT test (due in August) - the clutch release bearing is, er, bearable for now (but no doubt could fail completely without warning!).

I guess it's easy to get paralyzed by 'what ifs' when considering doing jobs - once you get started, it often don't seem so bad.....

Thanks again,
David

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
'Paralysis by analysis' is what you're referring to, David.

A bit different to 'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail'.

I completely understand that the PAS is more important, but (for me, at least), its the benefit of reducing the size of the job into small, manageable, and enjoyably satisfying chunks.

If I'm called to work on a car with a few issues, then (so long as it doesn't extend the job time), I'll do the small stuff first, as buoyed by ticking a lot off the 'to-do list' it spurs me on for the remaining (larger) tasks.

I'd definitely be spraying the underside with penetrating fluid, and covering your knuckles - its a fair bit of hard graft, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Take pics if you can, and definitely let us know how you fare.

Best wishes,

Paul

Reactions: S80
1 - 4 of 4 Posts