Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive just bought a megane sport alize coupe 1.6 16v, my engine idles at around 500rpm when started and sits there happily, no hunting, but slight judder every now and again, is it just a clean of the throttle body thats required.

I also have a second problem, it first started when the engine is warm and i accelerate over 2000rpm there is a rattle on the drivers side of the engine, again only when warm and only over 2000 revs, it is now starting to sound like a diesel engine, i can here a quiet rattle at low revs and obviously gets louder when you accelerate, ive read many threads on here and still confused, sounds like it could be a number of things lol

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Does you car have variable valve timing ? though it usually the 1.8 & 2.0 engines with VVT which get noisy when warm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont think so lol, the previous owner said he changed the cambelt, so kinda thinkin that the alternator pulley maybe loose as i did test it on an airport run, was running sweet as before that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
havnt taken belt off yet, but was checking the ignition coils today and on 1 of them the rubber has broken a bit missing and the spring contact point for the spark plug is missing completely, obviously this has to be changed, but could this be causing the rattle? if i replace it will the rattle dissapear? or because i have been driving the car for 3 weeks with 1 coil not working couldve caused damage to the cams or valves? as i presume theres no spark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a little update, just got back from full service anbd they said that i had a knocking noise coming from the engine block, apparantly cam belt is due to be changed (even though cam belt was supposed to be changed when i bought it) but all pulleys are secure, the guy said he wont know for sure what the knocking is until he strips down the engine and also said you never know when the oil has had a chance to work its way round the engine it might go away, is this surely possible lol

G

·
If the coil wasn't working then you should have a warning light up on the dashboard? did the garage do a diagnostic check. When you have a noisy de-phaser pulley it's very difficult to pin point where the noise is coming from as the noise travels across the top of the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill post a picture of the damaged coil and get a video of the noise, if it can help, i also have no experience with belts and pulleys, on my car is there 2 belts or just the 1, looking at posts on here there are 3 types mentioned, aux, cam and timing belts

G

·
No you car only has 2 belts the auxiliary belt is what used to be called the fan belt but as now most cars have electric fans it no longer drives a fan.

Timing belts are also refereed to as cam belts because the timing belt also drives the cam shafts.

Usually earthing HT sparks sound like sparking gas lighters you get on your domestic cooker

G

·
It's the belt you can see that drives the alternator, power assisted steering pump and A/C compressor if fitted.

The cam belt lurks under several covers so you won't see it

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Its easy to remove the auxiliary belt, put a 13mm ring spanner on the tensioner nut and pull it forwards then insert a allen key in the small hole to hold it in position, then the auxiliary belt can be removed easily.
Removing the timing belt covers is difficult, the top engine mount needs to be removed for starters which involves supporting the engine from underneath.
All a waste of time really unless you intend changing the cambelt while the covers/mounts are off.
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.