Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new to this so dont realy know how to start. but here we go. i have recently had my water pump replaced on my 1600 16v megane cab w reg while i had to change that i thought i,d change the timing belt with a full kit . part way through doing it i had an accident so could not finish it my self. so i got a freind of mine to do it. sounded nice when done but hav,nt been able to drive it due to accident. today i drove it & under load it sounds a bit retarded and is flat ? could the cam timing be out as he did mention that the inlet cam seemed to be half a tooth out but he said it would be ok? any help please. gats

D

·
0 Posts
If the belt is the only thing that has been played with, then i'd be checking the cam timing and belt tension

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
:iagree:

If the camshaft timing was correct before doing the belt change, and the correct timing tools were used, then there isn't any way it could be out by "half a tooth" :think:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi s80 unfortunatly after i hurt myself and could not continue someone else started repairing it again and left it with no timing tools inplace and unfinished? it was then another mate that took it on and had to start from the begining noticed it looked half a tooth out on the inlet cam? could this be the problem? sounds lovely on tick over just rough under load and flat as a fart.

D

·
0 Posts
If the camshaft sprockets are not held inplace with a keyway, then i suppose it could have moved.
Some are done on a taper and if the bolt gets loosened they can move.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
If no timing tools were used then the person doing the job didn't really understand this particular engine. You might just have been very lucky to have no valve damage, and I would strongly suggest that you do not start the engine again until fully sorted.

It is vital to use the correct setting/locking tools to time this engine - together with a new crankshaft pulley bolt. There are no locking keyways on either cam or crankshaft timing sprockets, so just using the 'tippex method' will absolutely not work :crazy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi s80 i wont be using the car untill me mate,s been round on wednesday to double check everything. its very strange the engine has only just gone over the 50k and as sweet as you like before the change. it still sounds sweet just running but under load its flat and sounds a bit harsh would the cam timing do that as it sounds retarded. gats

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he used the correct timing tools but when he turned the engine over by hand two rotations the inlet cam was slightly out. i think inlet the rear cam? but he said should be ok as nothing was touching when turned over. gats

R

·
0 Posts
Some are done on a taper and if the bolt gets loosened they can move.
No tapers or keys on any of the shafts on the these Renault 16 valve engines engines. I have only ever a seen a key on a very early 2.0 16 valve crank shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi all . i got the timing sorted now it was half a tooth out on one off the cams. so me mate fitted the timing tools. undone the cams and the crank pully done belt then redone the cam nuts and the crank bolt . all,s fine now it all seemed so easy when watching him sort it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts