Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Is there anyone who can advise on a water pump change for the above car. I would just like to know what's involved and what I expect to pay etc. I do know it's a job for the pro so wont be attempting this myself.

Many thanks for your help.

C

G

·
The water pump on your 1.6 K4M engine is driven by the timing belt aka cam belt so that should be changed at the same time as well. The service interval is 5 years or aprrox 72,000 which ever comes 1st though if the cam belt is removed Renault advise not refit.

So to change the water pump also involves having to re-set the engine timing and setting tools are needed. It is going to be around 3 or 4 hours by some one who is familiar with working with these engines.

I think you would be very lucky to get it done for under £300

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
*MAKE SURE HE HAS THE LOCKING KIT*

I've given up counting the amount of times someone has come on here saying that a 'mate' has tried to change their cambelt and it's gone pear shaped.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I know what you mean! He is a mechanic by trade and has changed one before on my old Renault,maybe mate is the wrong word. He is a work collegue who looks after my cars. Contacted him today and he will do it for me. Just wanted to know if it was a serious job,more for the cost really like price of parts etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a severe leak on the left hand side of the engine, more than a drip more constant. Nothing when the engine is off Recently replaced the pipe that goes into the back of the water pump. Just assumed it was the pump,he's coming tomorrow so hopefully he will see from underneath.

G

·
If the water pump was leaking then the coolant would be leaking out from under the cam belt cover as the water pump impeller shaft seal is on that side.

When you replaced the water pump feed pipe into the back of the water pump did you replace the O ring type seal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.