Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have looked through the forums for the answer to my question but haven't found anything. My Dad is replacing the drop links on my sisters car. His difficulty is he doesn't know how to remove one end of it. The track rod end end seems straight forward however the other end which is covered by a rubber boot appears to have no way to undo it. I apoligise if this description is vague as these are details my Dad gave me over the phone and I haven't seen it for myself. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a bit confused by the reference to a track rod end and a rubber boot. The drop link should be attached to the anti-roll bar at one end and the strut at the other and I believe that both ends are identical. It sounds like he's started dismantling the steering rack :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

It sounds like your Dad is replacing the steering arms and not the drop links,the inner joint ideally needs a special tool to undo it.Depending on access you may be able to use a pair of stilsons to undo the inner joint but you do have to be very careful not to damage the rack inside.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
You are describing the inner track rods and not the drop links. The inner ends of some inner track rods have a pair of flats but most seem to have nothing. Renault have a special tool for the job the rest of us just have to improvise. I used an 8" Stilson others use plumbers tools. Do a search on here for more info.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Axiel Ball joint I think it is called, as said stilsons or plumbers grips if they have had aftermarket ones (copies) fitted they come with flats, genuine Renault don't, as they have as usual a special tool to remove them, I found the stilsons better myself, lock steering right over to get to it, they can be quite tight to start this is becasue they are thread locked on, once you move it is will come off ok, make sure he puts the plastic orange washer back on the right way around (mark it) behind the ball joint this is a bump stop for the rack, also he MUST use thread lock when he winds the joint back on to the rack, I replaced the track rod end as well as you have to remove it to get the boot off and they are not that dear off ebay.
If it is REALLY tight, he may have to use some grips to stop the steering rack arm twisting as this "can" happen, mine where ok once you "broke" the thread lock seal, so remember.
1 - what out for orange thrust washer, must be put back the right way so mark it.
2 - USE thread lock when winding on new joint otherwise they can wind off again (not a good idea for steering) that hardest job on mine was actually undoing the track control locking nut they where rusted together.:crazy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.