Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks quick question

If replacing the fan heater resistor do you need to replace the loom that goes into it as well? Does the new part ordered come with the loom?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't working. Then came on in another attempt. 1 and 2 blowing very slight. 3 like it usually is and nothing from 4.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The little hole parts on the black connected part of then loom look a bit melted. Well 2 of them. Not massively so though just a bit

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,226 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies folks. It's really appreciated. I took out the relays connected to the part on the fan itself and cleaned them with wd40 and then reconnected.

I also sprayed the loom connector with wd40 and connected a new heater resistor to it. This cost £32. Reconnected everything and fixed all the glove box etc back in place again.

The fan seems to working fine now. Well good air flow on settings 3 and 4 but 1 and 2 quite slight. Is that how it should be?

Only thing worrying me now is that the car factor place said never to use wd40 to clean electrical parts as it's flammable. I thought I read on here before that you could. Should I be worried or will it be dried by now?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,741 Posts
Bin using WD to clean contacts for years, not blown up yet.
You do need to let it dry and it can leave a film but...
Proper electrical switch cleaner is better, still flammable AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you reckon I am good to go then. Don't need to pull it all apart again and respray with electrical cleaner? :oops:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,741 Posts
So you reckon I am good to go then. Don't need to pull it all apart again and respray with electrical cleaner? :oops:

I wouldn't.
WD has volatile components.
As with most, these evaporate fairly quickly so after a couple of hours, any would have disappeared.
That is assuming a spray and a wipe, not flooding the whole shooting match and leaving pools of the stuff about.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mate. Yeah I cleaned off any excess and shook the loom to make sure any excess came out of the holes and so on. Hopefully it's ok and dried up

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Folks it has went again. 1, 2 and 3 working. Number 4 gone again. Should I replace the loom and is it easy enough to do? I have seen this item on ebay. Would this work OK?

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
Did you find any signs of melting on associated parts..if so you need to replace all parts to get a proper fix and that would include the loom imho..

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Phil. Thanks for the reply. Yes I noticed some of the slots on the loom connector had melted a bit so I'm assuming this is why number 4 has stopped working again? Not connecting properly? I think I also got a slight burning smell again this morning.

Does the part on ebay look OK to order from the link I posted? Do I need to solder together or should crimp connectors be good enough?

Sorry for all the questions

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
Look at 4th photo from the link..

See where the resistor plugs into..if that is showing signs of burning also ..then I would replace that plug as well..with regard to the ebay link you showed us..I cant really comment ..its ebay so you pay's ya money and takes a chance that its not some chinese knock off..

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh right cheers bud. Ice Returns I replaced the heater resistor. Is that the same thing?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ffs just noticed I've somehow snapped a part on the glove box on left hand side. Part at the bottom that holds it and when opened it now just falls down at that side. Feck I hate Renault. Guess in gonna need a whole new glove box as well now or can that be fixed?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts