Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
Can you give us a pic to look at..see if we can make a suggestion on how to sort it..is there anyway you can stick it back with an adhesive of some kind..

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In work at the moment so will send one as soon as I'm finished. Went out at lunch to collect child from school and while at it decided to change the fuse. Of course you need to open glove box to gain access to fuse box. Pulled it down and something popped off the hinge bit and fell in behind part of the plastic cladding on the left side! Shouldn't even be a gap there lol. I'll have to find that bit now. BTW thanks for all your help with this

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh right cheers bud. Ice Returns I replaced the heater resistor. Is that the same thing?
No, the blower motor is what your selector controls. The more you crank it, the faster the blower spins, it's essentially a giant fan.

But by nature they can fail, or they can become obstructed which causes them to consume more power, then they start blowing fuses and burning resistors.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've just got the old heater resistor out of the bin and on inspecting it I can see burnt plastic around 'A4' I think it says so this points to why number 4 of the fan has stopped working again.

The connecting loom going to it most definitely needs replaced then. I'm guessing the connection has burnt out altogether now. I also reckon I didn't need to buy a new heater resistor as old one was probably ok. All the pins still look fine apart from number 4 with the bit of melted plastic around it.

See pics attached to this post.

I ordered the new loom of ebay. When I go to rewire this do I need to remove the car battery or is it ok with electrics off and car door open?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello folks. Any thoughts on my last posts? Would really appreciate any help at all. Thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,226 Posts
you are going to be working with the electrics of the car, therefore it is always best to disconnect the battery for a couple of reasons
1. you may accidentally earth the +12v wire and cause CPU to blow up or a fire or knock yourself backwards for a bit
2. you dont know how long the job is going to take and having the car unlocked and doors open, a lot of the CPU's will have fired up and your battery will die if you go too long

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cheers mate. I'll do that then in case as you say something else blows up lol.

Any of you get a look at the glove box pics? Any help would be great. Thanks folks

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,078 Posts
Cheers mate. I'll do that then in case as you say something else blows up lol.

Any of you get a look at the glove box pics? Any help would be great. Thanks folks
Is there any way that you might be able to drill a hole and replace the broken peg with a nail or peice of steel rod ..

·
7,226 Posts
if they are the same size, and what has snapped was a plastic version of them , these will make a stonger hinge but I dont know how the door is configured and whether it is a straight through bolt or not

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Vapulabis thanks for helping with this. As far as I can see that may have originally went through orange and yellow parts in my photo and then was connected to the pink part where it looks broken in the photo?

If you look at photo 2 the orange circle is where it has broken off. Well I think so anyway. I may be able to file this part and then screw a small hole and then possible put in a long screw or bolt?

I need to remove it anyway to do the wiring loom for the heater resistor but wondering if the glove box all pulls out as one or is where I've circled etc fixed to the dash and the other part comes out alone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Cheers mate. Yes I've had it out before and I think somehow I have managed to break that part. Thanks for posting that becsuse it now confirms it is all part of the same unit. I think I can fix this

·
7,226 Posts
I have never used them so I cannot offer an informed decision, I suppose its the same argument when push fit plumbing connectors came out, every one went "oh No the will never hold" but they are all over the place now, if they work in the house they will work in the car, as to whether the environment in the car will keep them working is another matter, the temp extremes are bigger in a car left outside than in a home, the moisture levels are higher in a car than in a home, but then again I can tell you that insulation displacment connectors have been used in the telecommunications world for 40 odd years, so the technology is mature enough. after all the prevarication, go for it, they are cheap, if they fail then go back to the old fashioned crimps ;);)

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great. Thanks very much to everyone who has helped me with this. Its massively appreciated. Hopefully the rain stays away and I can sort this at the weekend

21 - 39 of 39 Posts