Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hazard lights on my 2007 megane have started flashing and I really need help. I've searched Google for an answer but no luck as yet.

When I start the car via the key card the hazard lights come on immediately and keep flashing. Sometimes pushing the hazard switch will turn it off and then sometimes it does nothing. Sometimes restarting the car the lights don't start flashing but then can come on when driving. I would then have to pull over and restart the car maybe a few times to get it off again.

When the car is parked and then locked the lights can start flashing again and sometimes if I open the car again and hit the hazard switch it goes off, close the door and lock it and it stays off. Then within time it can start flashing again!

This all really came to the fore yesterday and it's been a nightmare.

Unfortunately the flashing lights have came back on while I was sleeping last night and the car battery must be dead. The key card now won't unlock the car as I was going to remove the car battery and try a new one.

I managed to get into the car via the small key in the card and opening the passenger side door. I got the bonnet opened and the battery removed.

I can also say over the past month or thereabouts the locking has been playing up a bit ie. locking and unlocking and then locking again.

Has anybody any idea what this could be and how to fix? Could it be the battery is playing havoc and needs replaced. I would say the battery is the original and the car is a 2007 model.

Please help and thanks for reading

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,105 Posts
Whenever I see these random faults my immediate suspicion is water.
Any sign of wet on/under carpets, in cubby holes and behind dash.

Maybe wrong but please check.

Low battery unlikely to cause, you'd be having troubles starting anyway.
Age of battery... past best before date but unless getting issues like poor cranking, don't rush out to buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. It's much appreciated. I have had a feel around and don't feel any wet. The car was having some starting problems. Sometimes took a few starts some days. Was at Halford this morning but their batteries are too expensive. Guy there did check my battery though and said it's only giving 76 volts and it's 540.volt battery.

I have just been talking to an Autospark and he right away said it's the hazard switch itself that probably needs replaced. Says it's quite common with the megane 2.

Fella at halfords also said the battery is over its shelf life which is usually about 7-8 years. This battery is 9 years old. Said it's a good.battery also. It's a varta

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,817 Posts
The hazard switch is a know problem and your spark's could very well be right.
Cant understand the bit about a 76 and 540 volt battery though,

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the fella in halfords checked the car battery using some device and said it was very weak. It was only outputting 76 volts and the battery is 540 volts. It's a varta battery but he thinks it may be done. It's 9 years old

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,817 Posts
Car batteries with very few exceptions are 12 volts I can only think
he was testing it with some fancy load tester and was talking amps

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,055 Posts
Leave hazard switch in place, spray wd40 over all of it , allow to soak, then press off and on a few times,,,
If car starts with your battery, and your battery is going flat through your hazard issue,,, ignore the man in black and yellow.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I don't get what you mean? How can I leave it in place and yet spray it in wd40. Is there a way of getting this switch out easily or do you have to take the whole dash fascia apart?

What is ignore the man in yellow and black?

·
39,055 Posts
No just spray over the surface,, it will penetrate down the sides, and wd40 will not stain your dash, but electrical contact cleaner will,,
Wd40 will go down the sides, it will get down,,
Mark 1 hazard switches always failed, mark 2 tend to fail more in a car that people smoke in,,, not saying you are a smoker,
But have known switches, play silly because someone has used polish on the dash, this congeals through the heater/fan and this stops the switch going far enough back for the spring to lock it .
Worth a try,,,,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there any messages on the dashboard computer.
As we had a megane that would do the same .
Put hazard lights on when ignition came on

The car is telling you there is a safety issue.
Ours turned out the air bag system was faulty.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No mate no messages on the dashboard. It's a strange one. Really hoping it's just a faulty hazard switch

·
39,055 Posts
Would go on a faulty switch, like everything they do wear out.
Spring inside goes weak,,, but if a bit of gunge behind it, it is not going that last millimetre to hold,

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Folks just a quick follow up. I got the car sorted on Monday. I put a new battery in myself that morning and all the electrics kicked back in and card started working also.

I got a 'check door locks' display on the dash and the red spanner but clicking the child lock on and off fixed this. I was also able to reset the radio and the windows.

I got a second hand hazard switch from a breakers yard and since its been fitted all is good. I think the new battery is making a difference also in the cold mornings.

The only problem I now have is that the mileage display on the dash is stuck at 1 mile and hasn't moved. I've gave it a few days to see if it resets itself but no joy.

Any ideas with this one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey. Thanks for the reply. It was the mileage display and not the odometer itself. I got it sorted now. I held the button in on the right indicator stalk and it reset it all apart from the service due miles. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hazard lights on my 2007 megane have started flashing and I really need help. I've searched Google for an answer but no luck as yet.

When I start the car via the key card the hazard lights come on immediately and keep flashing. Sometimes pushing the hazard switch will turn it off and then sometimes it does nothing. Sometimes restarting the car the lights don't start flashing but then can come on when driving. I would then have to pull over and restart the car maybe a few times to get it off again.

When the car is parked and then locked the lights can start flashing again and sometimes if I open the car again and hit the hazard switch it goes off, close the door and lock it and it stays off. Then within time it can start flashing again!

This all really came to the fore yesterday and it's been a nightmare.

Unfortunately the flashing lights have came back on while I was sleeping last night and the car battery must be dead. The key card now won't unlock the car as I was going to remove the car battery and try a new one.

I managed to get into the car via the small key in the card and opening the passenger side door. I got the bonnet opened and the battery removed.

I can also say over the past month or thereabouts the locking has been playing up a bit ie. locking and unlocking and then locking again.

Has anybody any idea what this could be and how to fix? Could it be the battery is playing havoc and needs replaced. I would say the battery is the original and the car is a 2007 model.

Please help and thanks for reading
disconnect alarm box in boot near side

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers bud I did this before when the lights started flashing and the alarm was going off. Definitely fixed the problem. I don't care there is no alarm now. Nobody would steal it anyway lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts