Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I've had a look on the site and can see similar to my problem but without any answers.

A few weeks back I got 'steering fault' on the dash after starting up the car when out for the day. Not sure if this is a coincidence but it was just after I bumped the back of the car into a kerb. Anyway I removed the key card, opened car door, closed it, reinserted the card and did the brake plus start button and car was fine again.

Roll forward a few weeks to today and it's back. Car was fine talking youngest kid to school this morning. Went to go out in the car there around 7pm and the car starts fine but beep noise right away with both 'steering fault' and 'stop' displayed on the dash.

Steering wheel seems very tough to move and I don't want to force it in case I do more damage. Turned car off and tried starting it over and over again about 10 times with the same result.

A few years back I got the steering wheel locked fault and someone fixed although in doing so I never felt the steering was the same after it which I've spoke about on here before. Shaving sound turning the steering wheel along with clicking/knocking noise as well although don't hear it all the time. The steering wheel also seems to not sit centre. Falls slightly to the right and wheel alignment a couple of years back didn't seem to fix this.

What are my choices? Is there anything I can check before I try my best to run this bloody thing into the sea?

Sorry if this has been asked before. At a loss here and really need the car for school runs etc.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,117 Posts
Doubt the knock at the back did anything to bring this on.

That the steering wheel seems stiff may be a clue.
That sounds like the power steering may have failed?
I think your system is electric, do you know?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello mate. Thanks for the super fast response. Much appreciated.

I think I was told on here before the system was electric although I did find this under the bonnet before and I think may have posted it on this forum. Can't remember. Anyway whatever this is it has never been filled. Do you know what it's for?

In the 2nd image you can see it just behind the battery.

Thanks for looking

·
22,117 Posts
That's your brake fluid reservoir.
Dunno about never been filled but judging by the dirt on the cap, never been checked either!

Re the steering... I'm 80-90% that it is electric which worst case means a replacement column.
And could be as simple as a fuse.
Not really my area of expertise, see what others can offer.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,906 Posts
It is electric steering

See the Red Battery Terminal @Rama78 ,
Disconnect the battery, and clean the positive RED terminal, and those fuse links
If you look to the RIGHT of your battery, you will see the RED lead connects to your under bonnet fuse box, Clean that end also

IF you are brave enough, disconnect the under bonnet fusebox, and remove it, or lay it to the side
Below it are your MAIN fuses,
Take these out, and clean these up..
Take a few pictures before you start, so you have something to follow when putting all fuses back

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great stuff. Thanks folks. Weirdly I didn't get an email saying there were any replies.

What should I use to clean the terminals and fuses? Wd40?

Will I need to completely remove the battery to get at the fuse box?

Thanks

·
22,117 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks folks. Weirdly I didn't get an email saying there were any replies.

What should I use to clean the terminals and fuses? Wd40?

Will I need to completely remove the battery to get at the fuse box?

Thanks
Best use an electrical contact cleaner, something like this...others are available
Action Can EC-90 Contact Cleaner 500ml (toolstation.com)

Battery out gives more room and if same as the Scenic, there is a main power lead that must be removed.
Battery must be disconnected for safety so removal is just another step.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks what fuses should I go buy so I have them ready to replace when I get to the fuse box under the bonnet. Working at the moment but had a quick look earlier.

Picked up a can of electrical cleaner earlier also. Do you know off hand the name of the fuses?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,506 Posts
The fact that it happens after start could be that the system voltage is too low and the steering controller does not power up. If the battery is old or low on charge the drop at cranking might exceed the tolerance of the steering controller.
When you have the fuses checked out it might be worth having the battery checked as well.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Brendan. Thanks for the reply. Someone checked the battery earlier and said it was OK although he did ask if the car was being used much lately

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello folks. Sorry to be a pain. Is it ok to drive the car in its current state? I took it a short distance earlier for someone to check the battery and it was how I imagine it would feel driving a tank lol! It's difficult to turn properly.

My mechanic is a bit further away but he's asked me to call tomorrow so he can hook the computer up to it.

Can I do it more damage?

·
37,906 Posts
No, no more damage will be done
if you can manage drive it to your mechanic

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure I can manage lol but I'll give it a go. Cheers for the quick answer mate. I've said it before, this forum full of great people

·
22,117 Posts
Concur, no damage.
What you are doing is driving without the assistance of power steering... and it's heavy... good upper body and arm workout. Take it gently and stop and rest if needed, be safe.

What Brendan says about the battery could be right.
We've known random faults kick up because of poor battery condition...usually older batteries though the last year with many cars sitting about, even new batteries are suffering.
I've not known it disable the power steering but if the computer thinks it is dangerous, would not be surprised.

Anyway, getting a decent diagnostic should identify... as long as the unit speaks Renault.
And get your mechanic to load test the battery, ie test it when loaded, not just checking voltages (he will have a meter for this)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello folks. My regular mechanic hooked up the computer to the car and got the following message 'Steering column motor internal fault' so basically thinks a new steering column is needed.

He said its best for an auto electrician to do the job. Do you reckon this is what's needed? I havent got checking the fuses yet though. The mechanic checked the battery and said its fine along with the alternator

·
37,906 Posts
Why is he getting a sparky to do it?
The steering lock will need to come out of Yours
Remove cowling below steering wheel
Insert Key card, so the ignition is on. Car not running
Now the bolt holding the steering lock will come out
THIS bolt IS A left hand thread, so you are TIGHTENING to get it out
Once it drops out, the steering lock will come out ( Just slides in , but its coded to your car so you need it )
SWITCH ignition off remove card, disconnect the battery
Now bottom of the steering column
13MM pinch bolt, turn the steering so you can get at this bolt, undo, and REMOVE the bolt
dont lift the column up, or try to just yet, as you need to make sure steering is still in the straight ahead position, (Both wheels are straight )

Put steering wheel back in the straight ahead position.( Chances are you had to turn it slightly to get at the bottom bolt )
Remove Airbag Then Steering wheel, ..
You are now faced with THIS

WITH some tape, hold the outer part of the Squib to the inner part of the squib
MAKE sure both parts cannot turn now You will see what I mean, if you turn the inner part slightly
The inner part contains a ribbon, YOU are trying not to damage this.

The squib is held on by an allen Key type bolt, undo the bolt,
Slide the squib up and off, disconnect any wires holding the squib on
Now you can refit the steering wheel, just drop it on, and replace the bolt finger tight
Check if any plugs are still connected to the column, if yes, disconnect them
4 bolts hold the column up, UNDO the lower 2 , and leave them in but lose
Now take the top 2 out

Get in the drivers seat, With an extension bar and socket
AND you balancing the steering column with one hand, unscrew the two remaining bolts using the extension bar and socket
Now give the steering wheel a slight yank,
It will come off the bottom, , and tilt slightly down, and you can lift it out

Now if that has made sense to you, go and show this to your mechanic, it will take him less than 2 hours .

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why is he getting a sparky to do it?
The steering lock will need to come out of Yours
Remove cowling below steering wheel
Insert Key card, so the ignition is on. Car not running
Now the bolt holding the steering lock will come out
THIS bolt IS A left hand thread, so you are TIGHTENING to get it out
Once it drops out, the steering lock will come out ( Just slides in , but its coded to your car so you need it )
SWITCH ignition off remove card, disconnect the battery
Now bottom of the steering column
13MM pinch bolt, turn the steering so you can get at this bolt, undo, and REMOVE the bolt
dont lift the column up, or try to just yet, as you need to make sure steering is still in the straight ahead position, (Both wheels are straight )

Put steering wheel back in the straight ahead position.( Chances are you had to turn it slightly to get at the bottom bolt )
Remove Airbag Then Steering wheel, ..
You are now faced with THIS

WITH some tape, hold the outer part of the Squib to the inner part of the squib
MAKE sure both parts cannot turn now You will see what I mean, if you turn the inner part slightly
The inner part contains a ribbon, YOU are trying not to damage this.

The squib is held on by an allen Key type bolt, undo the bolt,
Slide the squib up and off, disconnect any wires holding the squib on
Now you can refit the steering wheel, just drop it on, and replace the bolt finger tight
Check if any plugs are still connected to the column, if yes, disconnect them
4 bolts hold the column up, UNDO the lower 2 , and leave them in but lose
Now take the top 2 out

Get in the drivers seat, With an extension bar and socket
AND you balancing the steering column with one hand, unscrew the two remaining bolts using the extension bar and socket
Now give the steering wheel a slight yank,
It will come off the bottom, , and tilt slightly down, and you can lift it out

Now if that has made sense to you, go and show this to your mechanic, it will take him less than 2 hours .
Amazing stuff. How you guys know this stuff of the top of your heads baffles me.

I am going to ring him in the morning. I'm not finding it easy getting an auto spark. My mechanic is snowed under at the moment and I personally think he just doesn't want to take the job on

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trying to get the fuse box out and can only get one bolt out of the bloody car battery case. There are 3 of them. One of the bolts now seems to be rung. I give up. Cars a nightmare.

Why do they make it so feckin difficult to get to things!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cars are made like so that driver and passengers can enjoy more space, be protected by airbags and crumple zones and have all the extra options in a relatively small vehicle(y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts