Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dynamique 130hp 1.9DCi Steering is intermittently heavy when parking or pulling out of garage. If I turn sharp left the car does not straighten up and I have to physically turn wheel to straighten car or it would simply go round in circles. Does the same when turning sharp right. Just MOT'd outer CV's repacked and boots refitted, tyres almost new and both at correct pressure. previous tyres and these wear correctly. Problem eases as car warms up. Recently on motorway the pull varied as I drove, sometimes disappearing altogether. If I pull away from roadside and do not have to turn wheel more than about quatrer of a turn does not pull at all. No steering noises-clunks etc. New battery fitted 12 months ago. Am aware of steering unit problems on renault cars, hope it may be sensor or connector problems as these seem common as well. Any ideas of what to check, where and how before I take it to renault (poor experiences with them-new clutch fitted 5 months out of warranty faulty clutch NOT wear-£1500!)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
One cause of the steering not self-centering is seized strut top bearings and one other is a broken suspension spring. Have both these aspects been checked out?:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply. Faulty steering is intermittent. Steering is fine sometimes e.g yesterday worked fine exiting garage then became heavy for about 1 second then light again as though power steering had switched off then on again. Fault has been showing intermittently for months now and my local garage who MOT'd car few weeks ago is very thorough and broken spring should have been picked up then. They have previously checked front end and found no faulty joints etc. They did some work on steering rack last year which eased the problem for a while. Non centering problem is intermittent so not sure upper strut bearing problem is so likely. Pulling to right or left seems worse when the steering has previously been turned close to, or at, full lock. Smaller movements of the steering do not seem to cause pulling problem. If steering is pulling to left and i pull up then while stationary I turn steering quarter turn or so to right then back to centre then pulling is reduced or eliminated. Looking like power steering issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fully electric. It seems from searches on net that this unit has its problems and no doubt is expensive. It appears to be the full unit from steering wheel down to steering rack. No part of unit is repairable, it seems, and unit has to be replaced in its entirety. (my clutch slip was down to a faulty clutch unit, sticky slave,car had done 24k, unit was also only available complete, apparently known fault and if it goes before 3yr it is replaced, but not friction disc. A warning to any Megane owner or prospective purchaser, is that a number of major parts on the megane have reliability issues, cannot be repaired economically and are expensive to replace.) Not using at present, be sending it to garage when I have time, probably next few weeks but I am not hopeful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for interest, will give details of what is found when I take it in to be checked in near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a Renault Megane convertible and it keeps coming up steering fault on my dash and the power steering has gone very stiff its n 06 plate do they take steering fluid ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts