Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here also this is my first Renault car.

I have Megane 2010 1.5 dci with automatic gearbox, and it is showing check automatic gearbox, when I put on manual mode I have noticed that when alarm is on even (1,3,5) gears are not working, it use only odd (2,4,6) gears.

I'm not sure what can be an issue. Also I have no knowledge about EDC.

Can someone please help me what should I do.

megane 2010 1.5 dci
130.00 KM

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Hi

Your vehicle has done the equivalent of about 81 k miles, so in theory it should have a lot more life in it
[my 2014 meg EDC has done 101 k mikes (equal to approx 161.500 km with no issues ) ]

how recently was your car serviced and did they check the transmission levels etc...

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about 'alarm' in manual mode ?

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thank you for reply.

I did services every 10.00 KM.

When error code "check automatic gearbox" is on, I tried to move gear from D to manual, and I noticed that it use only 2,4,6 gears, not using 1,3,5 gears.

So basically it start with 2nd gear and accelerate to 3000RPM, when jump to 4th gear, again it accelerate to 3000RPM and jump to 6th gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when "check automatic gearbox" error is on, it does the same thing on auto mode and manual mode, cannot change from 2nd to 3rd, just from 2nd to 4th and then to 6th.

when the error is cleared, it work normal goes from 1st to 2nd 3rd till 6th.

But is start to be annoying because the error appears 10-15 times during the 100 KM distance.

I did some research, and learned that EDC gearboxes have 2 clutches one form 1,3,5 gears, and other clutch for 2,4,6 and R gears.

So what I suspect maybe the issue is with first clutch, or if there is any sensor (or any kind of mechanism) that change from first clutch to second clutch is not working well.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,656 Posts
On what you are describing, it does sound like a sensor or actuator problem.... could just be a loose wire.

But where or what ??

You are right BTW, the EDC boxes are effectively a twin gear box with twin clutches, one for even gears one for odd.
I was wondering if it was a clutch issue but what you describe is an intermittent fault that seems to be taking one clutch out of the system.

A decent diagnostic scan that can read the gearbox control system seems to be called for

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I will try to go on Renault licensed garage, to check the original error code.

I wanted to have one opinion, before going to garage , because usually garages are looking for most expensive solution, and I want to avoid buying new clutch.

·
23,656 Posts
Before you take it in, think on common things that seem to bring on the fault.
Stop Start traffic, long high speed cruise on the motorway, only when raining... whatever ??
There is little more frustrating for you and TBH the mechanic when you pay out for a diagnostic and it shows nothing because at the time, the fault is not there.
f you can replicate the cause, it will make diagnosis far easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
usually fault start showing on start spot traffic, I'll try to light the fault before going to garage, so they can diagnose with active fault.

·
23,656 Posts
Some EDC boxes have a reputation for overheating in Stop Start conditions.
This may be your problem.
Try using manual instead of auto before the fault occurs, this may be a work around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Your vehicle has done the equivalent of about 81 k miles, so in theory it should have a lot more life in it
[my 2014 meg EDC has done 101 k mikes (equal to approx 161.500 km with no issues ) ]

how recently was your car serviced and did they check the transmission levels etc...

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about 'alarm' in manual mode ?

Al
Hi Safko .my car does the same.only with my gears working are only 1.3.5 and nothing more.did you fix the problem with your car ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts