Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Captur tce 120 edc , 2010 Lancer VIII 1.8 143 hp
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents,

I am on the eve of trading my Octavia for a Megane, need to hear some opinions.

My engine is infamous 1.2 TSI which is a very powerful and dynamic engine - however, there are reliability issues with those as you may have heard. I already experience cam chain issue and had a long fight with Skoda-VW in Poland, I even contacted VW Germany and finally they have changed a full list of 12 parts related with cam chain issue free of charge (car was after warranty at that time), I used to be a frequent user of Briskoda forums :)

I will go under some mortgage in 1-2 years so that it will be hard for me to get any more credit so that I am thinking about exchanging mine with a young car and the best option seems to be Renault. I used to own a Megane saloon from 2008 with 1.5 dci 86 hp, it was a good car but the quality was questionable. I had problems with gearbox after 60k miles (manual one) occasionally it did not want to go out of first and the second gears, which 3 different mechanics were not able to determine the issue and finally all advised to change or recondition it, - as well right at that time during summer the AC compressor failed and it was nearly burning out. This was the time I said `enough` and sold it.

I have been reading about Megane 3 and it seems like the general opinion is that overall it is a `good quality` car. I have never owned a car with DPF so that my knowledge is limited apart from what I read - the filter gets clogged easily especially with city driving.

The car I found is an estate with 1.5 DCI engine, 95 hp - base version, Life produced in December 2014. (after facelift phase 3 I believe). It has 6 speed manual gearbox, manual AC, bluetooth connection etc without ESP while ASR is available (which is kinda weird)

I am thinking about keeping the car for long period (do not want to think about changing at least for 5 years) What would you say about the overall quality? Should I be aware of something? How is this third generation of 1.5 DCI engine and the transmission? Would be pleased to hear some comments.

Thank you :smile2:

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
The car I found is an estate with 1.5 DCI engine, 95 hp - base version, Life produced in December 2014. (after facelift phase 3 I believe). It has 6 speed manual gearbox, manual AC, bluetooth connection etc without ESP while ASR is available (which is kinda weird)

I am thinking about keeping the car for long period (do not want to think about changing at least for 5 years) What would you say about the overall quality? Should I be aware of something? How is this third generation of 1.5 DCI engine and the transmission? Would be pleased to hear some comments.
I'm not sure about Megane mk3 (getting one today), but I can say a bit about Scenic mk3 (sold 3 weeks ago with 200 000 km on the clock).
Materials used are of better quality than Mk2 though still some hard plastic used on gloves compartment - easy to scratch. Radio buttons tend to get the paint 'chipped'. Apart from that, 200 kkm didn't leave a mark on it.
ESP and ASR are both functions of the ABS (which reads the wheel spin) and ASR is just simpler & cheaper.

Now regarding the engine, rule #1 is changing oil every 10 - 12 000 km - the sooner the more you drive in the city. I'm not sure if they still have a mesh filter on turbo oil feed pipe but if so, clean it every oil change. The engine is capable of doing 300 000 without any serious issues but it's vital its looked after. So if yours has high mileage, 100 000 km or more, walk away if you're not sure about its service history.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for the information

The car has 78k km on the clock with full service history. I believe the service regime here is to change the oil for every 30k (or 2 years?)rather than 15k, I will see the service book in next days.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,793 Posts
thanks a lot for the information

The car has 78k km on the clock with full service history. I believe the service regime here is to change the oil for every 30k (or 2 years?)rather than 15k, I will see the service book in next days.
This is the point that funky is trying to raise ....Renault say service every 2 years or 30k km but if you follow that recommendation you may have issues ...changing oil and filter every 12to15k km reduces these risks...turbos love clean fresh oil

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is correct, let`s hope the owner did not follow that :) I will write again after I see the car.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi guys,

After long time, the update:

Thanks a lot again about your inputs firstly,

I bought a Fluence with 1.5 DCI 110 HP engine from 2015. It has 40k miles on the clock. 2 times serviced - unfortunately every 20k miles however all what I found had the same as these were used for leasing. It had small accident from the back, the bumper was changed, and scratches on the front and right front sides so that a few parts were painted, paid around 6800 pounds/32000 PLN

Car looks okay, the quality of the parts as you mentioned in the interior seems OK, trunk is very big, close to my previous Octavia. It has got bluetooth, cruise control, 4 auto windows ESP, ASR and so on, model LIFE.

The first impression after comparing to my Octavia, the steering is a little too light, the clutch pedal is a little tougher ( my Megane 2 was the same) but overall it looks like a decent car. I experience a humming sound while pressing the clutch pedal and accelerating to 2000 rpm which I opened a thread about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
Reg plates are for Mokotow, it's probably an ex-lease car.
Nice find, see you in Poland ;)

Edit: I see you mentioned it that it's ex-lease. Do you know what lease company?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dziekuje :) That is correct, it is an ex lease, after the warranty they let it go. This sound from the clutch is annoying, I hope it wont be something serious.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Edit: I see you mentioned it that it's ex-lease. Do you know what lease company?
It was registered on a company called Alphabet, when I check I see that they are a leasing company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts