Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Now that the mechanical problems have been solved there is a blinking airbag light problem.

AB light blinks from time to time but it wont stay on long enough to the obd fault code. I only have elm327 reader.

I have to start this by cleaning all the connectors. There are some under seats and behind the steering wheel. What else? Is there a connector that usually is the reason for this light?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,242 Posts
Usually the plugs under the seat, no guarantees.
Take care on AB system, if in doubt, disconnect battery and give it a few minutes for any residual charge to decay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The space under the seat is really narrow. I think im gonna unbolt the seat and lift it a bit to get better acces.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
6,855 Posts
Usually the plugs under the seat, no guarantees.
Take care on AB system, if in doubt, disconnect battery and give it a few minutes for any residual charge to decay.
Itinerant trons and explosives dont mix well :grin2:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
Thank you. The space under the seat is really narrow. I think im gonna unbolt the seat and lift it a bit to get better acces.
Send the seat back,.
Unbolting, if not careful ,, you can put the seat back in, and the slide to move it backwards and forwards wont work as well,, so hard to get it lock..
If you need to undo, just undo the front two pins/bolts and lift the seat slightly...
Just a thought for you

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
New info about the light.
There is a fault code that says "drivers seat position sensor resisstance too high" where it is and what to do about it. Could it be that the fault actually is in the yellow connector in front of the seat?

·
37,575 Posts
Would double check the connections under the seat, making sure you have good tight connections..
Resistance is not a lot to trigger the light, around 4 ohms, so a dirty/lose connection can cause the light to illuminate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think iv found the reason why the AB light blinks. It stayed on longer this morning and i moved the seat as front as i could get snd it really does go off every time i move the seat far enough to activate the seat position switch under the seat.
Im very tempted to use a cable tie to keep the switch pressed ?

Is there spare parts for this?

·
37,575 Posts
Can you have a look and work out why its not being held down..
Or could you glue something to the top of the switch or seat so it is pushed down more to make a better connection..
When we have issues on Mercs where the handbrake light stays on, we glue a piece of foam on with double sided tape, and this just touches the hand brake light switch.. ..
Same as on the bonnet switches on Vauxhall cars, just not making enough contact, but nothing to bend, so in effect its just making the gap smaller..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is that when the seat is in correct spot for me the lever in he switch hang free. It impossilble to do nothing to it becouse the fault is inside sensor. When the seat is in position that a 7 year old child reaches pedals the lever is pressed. This sensor tells the comp that there is a small driver and only half of the detonation is used for the airbag.

In the pic there is that sensor where is the cable tie. On the right is the metall bracket where its attached and in the middle is the plastic rail that presses the lever.

I dont know why these pics are upsidedown.

Attachments

·
37,575 Posts
Can you bend the bracket, so its closer ,
Its still the same principle, but the tip of the sensor has been worn away..
Can you not just change the sensor,, ..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a spring on the lever. Bending wont do anything. Microswitch is not pressed when seat is back. Its the microswitch or the components inside that are faulty.
Diagnostic says "too mutch resistance open circuit". Must be some connection inside. When pressed the closed loop is ok and no faults so the switch has to be pressed.

Yes it can be replaced but only by getting a new airbag wiring loom or by cutting those two cables and replacing the sensor for a spare. The difficulty is to find a spare sensor. Im not keen to buy new or even used loom. Too mutch work to do when its -10c out side. That soldering would be easy but doubt that no one will cut one.

·
37,575 Posts
As we cannot make out your picture, and not having one here to compare..
Are you saying there is a metal tab, this metal tab then presses on the top of the micro switch, as the seat is pushed backward or pulled forwards..
If yes, then build the tip of the micro switch up, chemical metal plastic filler, even a cable tie melted to the top, or glue some cable tie tails to the micro switch metal tab,, .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about my english. If things are hard to explain on your native lanquage try foreign :D.

Lets put it this way.
Imagine a door bell. When you press it the bell rings and the seat is in front. When your not pressing it the seat is back and the bell doesnt ring. I have that cable tie making the door bell to ring constantly. Sure i can replace the tie with something else but that wont fix the problem. I need a new sensor.

Bag light is off and thats ok but the problem is that now the ecu thinks that there is a small sized driver driving and if there is a collision the bag wont fill enough. Tough if i leave the fault on the bag wont detonate at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have replaced the switch with a 125ohm resistor. Light is off and im searching for the part.
125ohm equals the seat position that im sitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you bend the bracket, so its closer ,
Its still the same principle, but the tip of the sensor has been worn away..
Can you not just change the sensor,, ..
I have this problem too. Sensor not available as a spare you have to buy complete seat harness at £218 plus vat!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have replaced the switch with a 125ohm resistor. Light is off and im searching for the part.
125ohm equals the seat position that im sitting.
So when the seat is back the switch resistance measures 125ohms is it?
And when the seat is forward and the switch is depressed what resistance might one expect? I'm not sure if my switch is acting up too.
Thanks if you get to see this message and reply.

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 195104

Found this on page 322 of MR364MEGANE8.pdf. It's for the Megane 2 I think but the values might be the same. (The text in the box is the exact contradiction to what's written above the image) Replacing the switch (if faulty) with a 100ohm resistance might sufficiently emulate the seat being in the rearward position. Even temporarily.

The resistance of the seat position sensor can be checked using the diagnostic tools: - Seat forward: sensor resistance = 400 Ω - Seat back: sensor resistance = 100 Ω

·
37,575 Posts
Its a major NONO on here putting copyright material, lease dont we have to delete them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts