Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the standard front light(halogen) setup.

1.The dlr 2x p21w bulbs:
Ive ordered 2x63 led bulbs (correct fitting).
Has anyone tried led bulbs in place of the dlr regular bulbs,do they work ok or will the canbus prevent them from working?.

2.Im using 2x w5w fitting led bulbs in the "sidelights holders.they look great but maybe they only work because there is a resistance in the circuit from the rear light bulbs ?.

3.Ive also ordered 2x102led H11 bulbs for the front fog lights.Anyone tried led bulbs there?and what resistors do you need if the canbus prevents them from operating.

4.Goin for nightbreaker h7's for the main and dipped,should be ok.

5.leaving indicator bulbs as standard as they seem to be the most prone to canbus problems..

6.rear megane coupe mk3 lights look good as it is ,i think but has anyone tried fitting led bulbs on the rear?,like say 380 spec dual filament red ones?

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1.is wedge single led sidelight bulb.
2.is left hand side single led sidelight bulb,with 102 led (smd) fog/driving light.
3.is right hand side single led sidelight bulb,with original h11 fog/driving bulb.
4.is left hand side dayight running light with 63 led bulb in place of original 21 w bulb.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the above pics u can see i only have lhs led fog lamp fitted,mainly because the rhs is much harder to get at with windscreen washer bottle behind it.
Anyway,connected both up and only 1 works,the lhs(both bulbs are ok).Sooo..canbus error probly.I will have to buy 2x50w load resistors.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The resistors arrived today.

I had initially hoped that one resistor would provide sufficient load ,since one led bulb worked with one regular bulb.
However due to the peculiarities of the canbus I need the 2 50w resistors connected to light the 204 led's.

The difficult aspect is finding a metal mounting point for the resistors.
Its mainly plastic in and around the foglight/driving light area.

I purchased the resistors from hong kong/china because they are like 1/4 the price and they had "inline" connectors,not scotchlock.

To mount the resistors I used "crocodile clips" with the resistors screwed onto the clips .It gives metal to metal contact for heat dissapation,but also leaves most of the resistor and its heatsink in free air circulation..

The good thing about the connections is that it is a 15 min job to remove /replace the original setup.
The 102 smd,led bulbs are a very tight fit and take carefull wiggling,(obvious sexual reference passed)..
The standard h11 bulbs are much easier to insert(once again no obvious looseness reference).

Im happy with the results.
No yellowness on the front lights.

1.drl's look very "cool" as there is a broken pattern. doesnt look anything like a single filament bulb.

2.The single large led sidelights look good also ,kind of like blue tinged eyes and since the sidelights stay on with dipped and main beam they add a little "daz blue whiteness".

3. sidelights and fog/driving lights on looks much better than anything Ive seen.

4.dipped beam + sidelights(automatic) + fog lights ,looks v expenxive , but shows how much brighter "nightbreaker " h7 bulbs are compared to led .

5.Main + dipped + side + fog .Well its all about the "nightbreakers".The fogs dont add to the overall light output much and nobody is going to be trying to look thru your main beam full on headlights to check for coolness and you are going to go dipped in .035 sec anyway.

To sum up.
In daytime I can outcool any audi/vw or whatever.+ u can see some cars with blue/white bulbs behind a diffuser ..they dont look great mho.

At night/poor visibility
sidelights only, very poor light output ,but being a real led does look better than blue coated 5w bulbs.

Sidelights + fogs : bright enuff to be seen properly in towns/well light areas,but still much lower output than standard filament bulbs.

Anything above that..ie using dipped beam +, the nightbreaker bulbs make up any deficit.

Main thing for me is I no longer have any "yellow light " on the front aside from the turn indicators.
If going for led/hid Id remove any possible yellow light source ,aside from anything else it makes your led's look too blue.

If anyone is interested in full pics,I can do some, If not no worries.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also ordered 2x 24 cm amber led strips.for like £2 each.
Ideally these would be visually connected to the main indicator bulb,like a line going straight to the bulb,
Since the led rsponse time is faster ,it would be almost like an arrow with a real bright end glow.

To achieve that effect ,I would have to alter the rear light housing.Due to warranty issues this isnt practical.
Instead . I have the strips mounted around the edge of each rl unit.
The lights in essence show in the gap between the rear hatch and the light housing and are attached with double sided tape.The heavy duty stuff.

The good news is no resistors are required as the standard filament bulbs provide that.

The effect provides a uniqueness at the rear of the car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of now ,
All the connected led bulbs are working but:

The daylight running light bulbs 63 normal led bulbs,
not all of the led's on them light up.
They havent from day one ..
I think there are 5 rings of 9 leds each + like 6 on the front.

It hasnt been a big "problem" but about 10 leds on the side rings dont work.
On one bulb all the lights in one "ring" dont work.
On the other half of 2 different rings dont work, + also on another ring half of them flash rapidly.

I decided to get a 25 w resistor for each bulb, just to eliminate the last flaw..

I connected up a resistor n tried it out ,no change (resistor is working btw it would burn your finger).

I thought np probably needs a resistor for each bulb.
2 resistors connected.. still no change. grr.

Possibilities are .
a Both bulbs came with some dodgy leds on em.
b.Running the bulbs for awhile without the resistors has "killed" some of the leds,which would have worked if I had a load resistor in in the first place.

Solutions
a. buy 2 new 63 led bulbs
b.buy canbus (built in resistor ) led bulbs
Largest ones I see for sale are 36 led types and over double the price of the cost of the led bulbs AND seperate resistors.
c.Get smd led type bulbs, which I know the resistors work with on the fog lights.

I went for c.
Bought 2x 102 smd led bulbs..same as the foglight but different fitting.

They will match the foglights ,more of a greenish white hue and brighter,trouble is I kind of like the violet white look.

Bulbs should arrive in the next day or 2.
Will post.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
new 102 smd led bulbs arrived to replace the 63 led bulbs.
This time a 25 w load resistor is fitted with each bulb to simulate the 21 w load of the original filament bulb.

result.all 204 leds are lighting and look great.

45.jpg is the rhs 102 led bulb lit
46.jpg is the rhs 102 led bulb at more distance
14.jpg is the rhs sidelight led bulb and the 102 led fog light bulb lit
15.jpg is the rhs sidelight ,foglight and both main and dipped beam nightbreaker bulbs lit.
16.jpg is the day running light bulb with the engine turned off.

I think thats about it for now .I could go the "look at my pretendy audi " effect and do a flexible strip of leds,there is a perfect area along the top edge of the headlamp housing.
I think ill leave it as is tho.Im looking for a cool but not a christmas tree effect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
STOP PRESS:
or something like that.
Just to update,n for anyone thinking of going for led's.
1.The 102 led drl bulbs are starting to "lose" leds.
I would say each bulb has about 95-97 lighting now.
This is even with a 25 w resistor per side.

Another more serious ,to me,problem is that the 102 led bulbs (smd), surface mounted devices have left a cloudy haze on the mirror surface..the chromepaint on the plastic inside the headlights .

Its a small trail that extends upwards ,like heat haze.
The good news is it wipes off easily..phew:jawdropping:
However its a btrd to get at.

The same haze is there on the foglight reflectors,not suprising really as Its the same bulb type from the same company.
The haze is, I believe, solder resin burning off from the bulbs.
Anyone who has done any soldering will know what I mean.

Ok so where to now:
1. The haze,it only affects the smd led bulbs.
If the smd bulbs didnt have any led failure I could wait a couple of months until they were fully "burnt off" and spend a day cleaning the "grey haze" off the reflectors .
By then it could be that 1/3 of the leds will have failed , and while u cant notice the missing ones now,if 1/3 of them were gone u sure would.

The normal type led bulb..the 63 led one didnt output any "haze" but the leds on it have/ were failing.
The final word for now is:
a. drls..I will put the 63..haha,probably 45 led at this stage bulbs back in for now and investigate a bit further.Ill try some uk sourced cluster leds.like 36 led's.nb when I say cluster , I dont mean cluster f***
b.the fog light/driving light bulbs(h11) I will put the standard ones back in and probably order some nightbreaker ones..damn expensive tho,comparatively.
Even tho there are no led failures there .its probably because they havent been used that much.

All of these big cool looking led bulbs are from the far east and cost one or two pounds each so its not an expensive project.
The sidelight wedge bulbs are still fine.
Because of the low cost and the distance,I wont be looking for money back.Apparently these suppliers are very good on sending replacements heh from the original buying price these things must cost like 50 p to make.. but from the above that isnt going to help much.

Im posting this continuation rather than keeping quiet at the point where everything looked great,just in case anyone is trying similar changes.

For the front indicator bulbs I did buy some silver coated amber bulbs of the normal filament type(check halfords) and they work just fine. Thats purely to remove the yellow coated bulb look from the front lamp set.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
edit for above post:

Now that ive tested the "cheaper options", I will be sourcing some bulbs from non far east.

The fog/driving lights I will be going for nbreaker 2 even tho they are over double the price for a pair than the more important H7 nb2 headlamp bulbs ,dunno why,probably because of the plastic bulb holder bit..
price is £30 for the pair .. from same source I got the main/hi beam bulbs.

That will leave me with the drl bulbs.
Using real uk sources which anyone can google.These will cost about £15 for a pair of 50ish glass leds., but they will be large leds on the front types+ if they work , I wont mind the cost and the guaranteeing is supposedly ok.

smd leds from any source..im gone a a bit cool on as I dont fancy the idea of having to clean the above mentioned "haze" from the reflectors ..even if it is only a "bulbs from asia " thing.
Also this "haze", burnoff or whatever it is/was might stick if left too long.

Dont get me wrong ..
I have no regrets about testing these bulbs since they were so cheap.
The drl's I want to keep in allways on config but if I left the bulbs as standard they would be the only "yellow white" ones on the front.
It could be that if I ordered another £2 pair of 63 led glass bulbs from the far east they would be fine cos of the resistors I have. but I want to try large frontsize 360 degree leds and UK sources will provide enough "return if not satisfied"variation.

I will post with the revised config and new bulbs when its stable.

nb. I was able to clean the main headlamp reflectors ok,using computer screen wipes n all sorts of sheet on the end of a bit of fencing wire, the foglamp reflectors are a different story.
(I think there is some idea that leds dont generate any heat at all. I think its more that ..led's do it from behind ..and if you have say 70-100 leds generating heat inwards in a concentric circle you may have enough heat to burn off manufacturing residue..and cause 50p bulbs with 1/2p led's to fail)
I will have to remove the front bumper/plastic section to get at them properly as the bulb hole opening is only about a thumb width, or a fat finger.
Ok I better stop now.. who knows what googlers will be searching "thumb,fat finger insertion":d

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drl bulbs..uk sourced.. have been in 2 weeks or so,no resistors ,no led failures.
coolness rating 9.
they are 36 led non smd bulbs .
Light output seems even higher than the "chinese " 63 and 103 led bulbs,probably because the 6 front facing led's are larger.
Another factor is ,because the 36 led bulbs are closer to the output area of a normal filament bulb,all of the led's are in a reflector area,
If they last a month+ with nps, I will recommend them even tho they are 3-4 times the price of "chinese" bulbs.
more pics in 2 weeks or so..if sll the different bulbs continue working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
drl bulbs..uk sourced.. have been in 2 weeks or so,no resistors ,no led failures.
coolness rating 9.
they are 36 led non smd bulbs .
Light output seems even higher than the "chinese " 63 and 103 led bulbs,probably because the 6 front facing led's are larger.
Another factor is ,because the 36 led bulbs are closer to the output area of a normal filament bulb,all of the led's are in a reflector area,
If they last a month+ with nps, I will recommend them even tho they are 3-4 times the price of "chinese" bulbs.
more pics in 2 weeks or so..if sll the different bulbs continue working.
Hi. And what about this drl bulbs? All still lighting? Could you give url to the online store where you buy it?

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes all 72 led's are still lighting.
The price is about £15 a pair.
Urls seem to be a sensitive subject some are allowed some arent..

The daylight bulbs came from (autobulbs direct) a big UK supplier,who seem to be expanding into led's more.just google that for a direct link.
They are very helpfull and there is a small voucher code discount out there if you google for it.
The appearance ,much better than the original filament bulbs, there is an efect that looks like loads of little bulbs.its hard to describe and it doesnt show in pics.
It also looks better than the audi type big blob leds,or at least less common, those are appearing on all makes and on aftermarket kits.
(mho)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see only Ultimate Canbus 92 SMD LED Bulb. It isn't to much led? I care about stability and i want to buy led whih you tested. I'm from Poland and return of this bulbs isn't so easy like in UK.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had 102 led bulbs in there the smd type.

I bought them cheap(£5 a pair) on ebayfrom the far east.They had 2 problems .
1 after a short time some of the leds began to fail.
2.there was a smoky burn off haze left on the reflectors which took me awhile to notice.

I also had 63 led bulbs in there.again v cheap from the far east(£4 a pair) , they didnt leave any haze but some of the leds failed after a short time.

The bulbs I have in now are
382 LED 360 Degree LED (pair) white £15.99.
you should see them on the site easily enough.
They arent canbus rated but seem to be good..so far!

HOWEVER ; The bulbs you mention
382 Ultimate Canbus 92 SMD LED Bulb £15.50 each were not available at that price when I bought my 36 led bulbs.

They might be really good and they are canbus rated the lumen rating on them is much higher than my 36 led bulbs also ,still at £29.99 for a pair they would need to be.
As I said tho it seems to be a good business.. they told me there would be np with return up to 30 days after bulbs arrived and I am in Ireland,not UK . Poland is a bit further away but not like China!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought 1156 BAU15s PY21W CANBUS SMD LED Indicator bulbs WHITE from local supplier (ebay also) but it isn't what i want:(. The go back to shop. I order this 96 LED from autobulbs and waiting:). I,m afraid that they are to long to megII lamp. i check this and show photo after all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you thought about putting some day light running lights under the black plastic on the front of the car under the lights in the grill area? so you dont have to mess around near the bulbs? Thats what I am thinking of doing in the Laguna. having two LED strip lights in the grill as close to the edges and bottom to act like day light running lights. I have the zenon headlights so the clear colour will be for both main lights and the DRL. Love the mod to the back with the LED lights that looks awesome and very unique. Brilliant idea

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeh I considered that on mine ..its still an idea ,but led bulbs in place of filament ones , i just like the multilight look from the reflectors ,its hard to take pics .If your too far away you just see a colour on the pic.If its too bright outside you have to get close to see the effect.

Another consideration is its still under guarantee and will be for awhile yet, I dont want to go crazy on lighting mods ,
The way it is now there would be easy bulb changes , prior to a service etc.

On your laguna coupe:
I didnt want to say this earlier cos it might sound "jealous " ;) but I think the worst area is the front grille .
It has a bit of that "goldfish mouth" look that some peugeots have tho not as bad.

That pic you linked could be ideal..the 2 white drl strips per side ,I think thas what they are ?.
Not too big to obstruct airflow and then a rice clear space in the middle looks kinda like AM front grille .
Actual drl kits are expensive but if you could mount ones that looked like the pic even experiment with cheap "chinese ones" and double sided tape. linked to your drl circuit,might be good.
With such a nice motor just avoid the cheap look.

If my carbon fibre wrapping works out ok , I might experiment on drl a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Found these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-DRL-LED-FOG-DAYLIGHT-RUNNING-LIGHTS-INDICATORS-/230669341026?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b4f6d162

Pretty good ones for maybe testing. They have a slight curve to them and also if you hook them up to the indicator circuit they flash orange when using the indicators I think that quite good. Or maybe these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-R8-S6-A5-XENON-LED-DAYLIGHT-RUNNING-LIGHTS-PAIR-/170398914062?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ac91160e

Think I prefer the first set think this second ones are for more inside headlights.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts