Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an aftermarket radio on my megane but wanted to switch back to original OEM. so I got the clock display and a matching stereo from the breakers. The clock display is blinking the time and the stereo itself isn't turning on. It's pretty much plug & play so not sure what is happening. Any ideas anyone? I've read something about a radio code but surely that won't stop the radio from turning on at all? Should it not turn on and ask for the code?

Thanks.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,668 Posts
Mk3 Megane and Scenic radios are coded to the actual cars. In the case of a replacement it is possible but you need the radio code. That involves reading numbers from the back of it and an app found on phones.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mk3 Megane and Scenic radios are coded to the actual cars. In the case of a replacement it is possible but you need the radio code. That involves reading numbers from the back of it and an app found on phones.
But will this make the radio completely not respond to any button presses? Initially as I was installing it, it was making ejecting cd kind of sound but now it's not making any sounds and none of the buttons respond. It's almost like the entire unit is dead or could it be acting dead because it needs coding? I thought if it needed radio code then it should let me press buttons to enter the radio code?

But reading the official Renault radio replacement guide it says after replacing radio it needs to be set using the diagnostics tool CLI*

·
4,668 Posts
As you were initially getting power to the radio but aren’t now, I’d be looking towards fuses, hopefully you’ve not damaged the unit.
I think @two dogs has replaced a grand scenic 3 radio so he will be able to advise you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you were initially getting power to the radio but aren’t now, I’d be looking towards fuses, hopefully you’ve not damaged the unit.
I think @two dogs has replaced a grand scenic 3 radio so he will be able to advise you.
I didn't get any lights or anything on the stereo at all just the sound of cd ejection or something like that. A mechanical cd noise as I tried to push the unit in. The permenant power to the stereo is fine because i'm running my dashcam from that and my dashcam has power.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,522 Posts
should have TWO power supplies, permanent, and ignition on .
Check fuses in the interior fuse box

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've checked all the fuses and they all check out find. I removed the radio completely and reinserted the big connector at the back but still same thing. When I reconnect the radio connector the eject button makes the cd play try and eject something only a few times but eventually that stops responding too because I'm guessing it realises there is no cd. I even checked the 10a fuse at the back of the radio itself and that's fine too. Any help pleaseee

I've connected up CLI* and it finds the radio 261 and no faults showing up. So I'm confused. The stereo itself just doesn't turn on no matter what I press

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I've just been going through the CLI* settings. When I read the parameters everything responds on the live screen to show when I press buttons on the radio. But two things right at the bottom I see one says Wake Up Request MISSING and Presence of OTHER device missing. What does this mean?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've also just noticed the CD eject button when you press it after turning car off it tries to eject. I've just read the official Renault repair manual which says:

In the event of a replacement, apply the after repair procedure using the Diagnostics tool:

• connect the Diagnostics tool
  • select "Car phone"
  • go to repair mode
  • display the "Before/after repair procesdure" for the computer selected
  • select "Radio" in the "List of components controlled by this computer" section
  • carry out the operations described in the "After repair procedure" section
I'm assuming it's referring to CLI* but I have CLI* but cannot find where a I supposed to look for Car phone then go to repair mode.

I also have the radio code for this new radio but if its not turning on at all to display anything then I can't really enter the code

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i've tried everything and running out of ideas. I can only assume that the second hand stereo is not working. But it's strange because when I monitor live signals on CLI* i get responses from every button i press. Eventually I got a fault DTC931F11 on the radio ecu saying "wake up signal" "Circuit short to ground" but that was orange and wasn't an active fault.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just checked with Renault to see what the original part number for my Radio unit is supposed to be based on VIN and the part number they've given me is actually different to the unit I have. However, if I search for that part number it seems to be only available from MK3 Scenics and NOT meganes. All the Megane ones seem to be the part number I currently have. Either way they both look practically identical. Everything looks the same. I also need to change the clock display because apparently the one my VIN matches is not supposed to have two physical buttons on the clock display. But not sure if clock display buttons will actually effect the radio working. The two buttons seem to be related to changing the time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so another update, it seems like although Renault gave me another part number for the stereo to match my VIN, the part number they gave me was replaced by the part number of the Stereo I actually have so the Stereo part number I have is correct. However, one thing that is wrong is the clock/temperature display. Below is a picture of two types: The one on the left without buttons is the one that matches my VIN and the one on the right with the buttons is the one I bought from the breakers and installed it. The clock display actually works and the buttons just let you adjust the time which also works. So i'm not sure if the clock display being the wrong item can cause wake-up issues for the main stereo

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK another update hopefully someone can shed some light. It appears that this display screen pictured above is a critical component in the correct operation of the stereo. Although the different one I got actually fits my car, the software on it may be wrong etc. This is what Renault's tech doc says:

The activation logic of the multimedia system is entirely controlled by the gateway function between the multiplex network of the vehicle and the multimedia multiplex network. If the vehicle is not fitted with a colour screen, the gateway function is hosted by the radio multifunction display (component 653)

So it seems the next best option is to buy a second-hand matching part number screen and see if that helps rather than buying another stereo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update on this. After I changed the screen out with matching part number I got everything working except the stereo itself isn't generating sound. Seems like the stereo is not good and another one is on the way. I've also managed to code the stereo with my VIN using DDT4ALL so the car no longer asks for the Radio Code as it thinks the Stereo is the one for my car. Will have to do this again on the replacement stereo that comes.

·
4,668 Posts
Be careful with that software, one wrong move and your car becomes a very expensive ornament...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be careful with that software, one wrong move and your car becomes a very expensive ornament...
Yes that's true, i've become quite familiar with it now and don't really change values until i am sure what i'm doing lol. By default it's on read-only and you have to enable expert mode every time you want to make a change. VIN coding was very straight forward on it. However it needs to be done with car off and keycard inserted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update, this has been solved. It was the silly radio giving a tone of errors which I'm assuming was a result of a blown amp. Question is does a blown amp cause short circuit to the speaker terminals as errors were showing ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts